Mar 8, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There were two great stories about Rule 5 draft pics over the weekend. First comes Tyler Kepner’s profile of Zach Kroenke, a Yankees’ pick from 2005 who has played the Rule 5 game two years running, first being picked by the Marlins last year and now trying to latch on to the Diamondbacks after being left unprotected by New York once again in December. He recalls what happened when the Feesh cut him last spring and he had to go back to Yankees’ minor league camp:
He said his goodbyes to teammates and packed his Marlins duffel bag
for the drive across Florida from Jupiter to Tampa. Kroenke left the
jerseys and pants and warm-up jackets, packed a few other items and
headed on his way.
Not so fast.
“I start walking out and the head clubbie comes running out: ‘Hey,
hey, hold on! You can’t take that bag!’ ” Kroenke said. “He throws down
this black duffel bag and starts pulling stuff out of mine: ‘Sorry, we
got to keep that; sorry, we got to keep that.’ They let me keep a
couple undershirts, and that’s it. It was hilarious. Didn’t get to keep
Baseball is a tough business if you don’t have a safe slot already.
The other one is a Joe Posnanski blog post spending around 2000 words on great moments in Rule 5 pick history. And he doesn’t even get to the fact that Johan Santana and Joakim Soria were Rule 5 pics. He’s saving that for another post.
Dude can really get a head of steam up when he wants to write about something, can’t he?
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)