Mar 8, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
When the Mariners signed Chone Figgins to a four-year, $36 million contract this offseason the assumption was that he’d play third base after manning the position in 96.7 percent of his defensive innings with the Angels over the past two seasons.
However, early in camp Don Wakamatsu has frequently used Chone Figgins at second base with his 2009 second baseman Jose Lopez at third base, and yesterday the manager indicated that alignment could remain an option once the season starts: “There’s nothing right now that says that wouldn’t work that I’ve seen.”
Lopez has played just 25 career innings at third base compared to nearly 5,500 innings at second base, but has taken well to the potential switch and said yesterday that he’s “really comfortable right now” at the hot corner.
Switching positions has never been a problem for Figgins, who’s logged at least 150 career innings at six different spots, including 113 appearances at second base. Figgins played Gold Glove-caliber defense at third base last season, so there’s definitely some risk to shifting him to second base, but he figures to be an upgrade there compared to Lopez, who at times has been moved to first base thanks to his mediocre range.
It’s tough to say how Figgins will be at second base after not playing the position regularly since 2005 and it’s even tougher to predict how Lopez will fare at third base after not playing the position regularly, period. My guess is that they’d both be more or less average at the new spots, in which case the question is whether that would be better for the Mariners than being great at third base and below average at second base.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20