Mar 8, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
When the Mariners signed Chone Figgins to a four-year, $36 million contract this offseason the assumption was that he’d play third base after manning the position in 96.7 percent of his defensive innings with the Angels over the past two seasons.
However, early in camp Don Wakamatsu has frequently used Chone Figgins at second base with his 2009 second baseman Jose Lopez at third base, and yesterday the manager indicated that alignment could remain an option once the season starts: “There’s nothing right now that says that wouldn’t work that I’ve seen.”
Lopez has played just 25 career innings at third base compared to nearly 5,500 innings at second base, but has taken well to the potential switch and said yesterday that he’s “really comfortable right now” at the hot corner.
Switching positions has never been a problem for Figgins, who’s logged at least 150 career innings at six different spots, including 113 appearances at second base. Figgins played Gold Glove-caliber defense at third base last season, so there’s definitely some risk to shifting him to second base, but he figures to be an upgrade there compared to Lopez, who at times has been moved to first base thanks to his mediocre range.
It’s tough to say how Figgins will be at second base after not playing the position regularly since 2005 and it’s even tougher to predict how Lopez will fare at third base after not playing the position regularly, period. My guess is that they’d both be more or less average at the new spots, in which case the question is whether that would be better for the Mariners than being great at third base and below average at second base.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 0
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)