Mar 8, 2010, 6:17 PM EST
After pitching two innings Monday in his spring debut, Marlins right-hander Ryan Tucker announced that he had been diagnosed with Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes numbness in the hands.
Tucker, 23, told the Miami Herald he especially has problems pitching in the cold.
“I can’t get my hands warm ever,” he said. “If you notice, I’m blowing on them all the time. I make sure with the umpire is OK with it. It’s a tough issue for me. It’s really difficult to grab the ball and throw it and not feel like I’m going to throw it at the guy in the box.”
Tucker, a top prospect a couple of years ago, missed much of last year with quad and oblique injuries. The numbness hasn’t kept him off the mound, but it makes it difficult for him to get a feel for his pitches.
“It’s just something I have to figure out,” he said. “There’s nothing that fixes it. It’s not like I can go to the doctor and they’re going to go here’s a pill, here’s a surgery. That’s not going to happen. It’s a mental thing I have to figure out.”
He might want to have a conversation or two with Tom Glavine, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1990 and still managed to put together a fair career.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)