Mar 8, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
After pitching two innings Monday in his spring debut, Marlins right-hander Ryan Tucker announced that he had been diagnosed with Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes numbness in the hands.
Tucker, 23, told the Miami Herald he especially has problems pitching in the cold.
“I can’t get my hands warm ever,” he said. “If you notice, I’m blowing on them all the time. I make sure with the umpire is OK with it. It’s a tough issue for me. It’s really difficult to grab the ball and throw it and not feel like I’m going to throw it at the guy in the box.”
Tucker, a top prospect a couple of years ago, missed much of last year with quad and oblique injuries. The numbness hasn’t kept him off the mound, but it makes it difficult for him to get a feel for his pitches.
“It’s just something I have to figure out,” he said. “There’s nothing that fixes it. It’s not like I can go to the doctor and they’re going to go here’s a pill, here’s a surgery. That’s not going to happen. It’s a mental thing I have to figure out.”
He might want to have a conversation or two with Tom Glavine, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1990 and still managed to put together a fair career.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)