Mar 8, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
After pitching two innings Monday in his spring debut, Marlins right-hander Ryan Tucker announced that he had been diagnosed with Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes numbness in the hands.
Tucker, 23, told the Miami Herald he especially has problems pitching in the cold.
“I can’t get my hands warm ever,” he said. “If you notice, I’m blowing on them all the time. I make sure with the umpire is OK with it. It’s a tough issue for me. It’s really difficult to grab the ball and throw it and not feel like I’m going to throw it at the guy in the box.”
Tucker, a top prospect a couple of years ago, missed much of last year with quad and oblique injuries. The numbness hasn’t kept him off the mound, but it makes it difficult for him to get a feel for his pitches.
“It’s just something I have to figure out,” he said. “There’s nothing that fixes it. It’s not like I can go to the doctor and they’re going to go here’s a pill, here’s a surgery. That’s not going to happen. It’s a mental thing I have to figure out.”
He might want to have a conversation or two with Tom Glavine, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1990 and still managed to put together a fair career.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)