Mar 8, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT
After pitching two innings Monday in his spring debut, Marlins right-hander Ryan Tucker announced that he had been diagnosed with Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes numbness in the hands.
Tucker, 23, told the Miami Herald he especially has problems pitching in the cold.
“I can’t get my hands warm ever,” he said. “If you notice, I’m blowing on them all the time. I make sure with the umpire is OK with it. It’s a tough issue for me. It’s really difficult to grab the ball and throw it and not feel like I’m going to throw it at the guy in the box.”
Tucker, a top prospect a couple of years ago, missed much of last year with quad and oblique injuries. The numbness hasn’t kept him off the mound, but it makes it difficult for him to get a feel for his pitches.
“It’s just something I have to figure out,” he said. “There’s nothing that fixes it. It’s not like I can go to the doctor and they’re going to go here’s a pill, here’s a surgery. That’s not going to happen. It’s a mental thing I have to figure out.”
He might want to have a conversation or two with Tom Glavine, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1990 and still managed to put together a fair career.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)