Mar 8, 2010, 6:17 PM EST
After pitching two innings Monday in his spring debut, Marlins right-hander Ryan Tucker announced that he had been diagnosed with Raynaud’s Syndrome, a condition that causes numbness in the hands.
Tucker, 23, told the Miami Herald he especially has problems pitching in the cold.
“I can’t get my hands warm ever,” he said. “If you notice, I’m blowing on them all the time. I make sure with the umpire is OK with it. It’s a tough issue for me. It’s really difficult to grab the ball and throw it and not feel like I’m going to throw it at the guy in the box.”
Tucker, a top prospect a couple of years ago, missed much of last year with quad and oblique injuries. The numbness hasn’t kept him off the mound, but it makes it difficult for him to get a feel for his pitches.
“It’s just something I have to figure out,” he said. “There’s nothing that fixes it. It’s not like I can go to the doctor and they’re going to go here’s a pill, here’s a surgery. That’s not going to happen. It’s a mental thing I have to figure out.”
He might want to have a conversation or two with Tom Glavine, who was diagnosed with the disease in 1990 and still managed to put together a fair career.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)