Mar 8, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
Jason Heyward continues to defy superlatives.
In the first inning of this afternoon’s game against the Tigers, Heyward battled Max Scherzer from 0-2 to a full count only to launch an epic two-run blast. How mammoth was it, you ask? The ball hit the metal roof that covers the batting cages beyond the right field wall in Lakeland. So I’m guessing somewhere around 600 feet. You know, conservative estimate.
Here’s Tim Hudson, as quoted by David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
“He goes and puts one in the trees out there. I mean, it just adds to the legend.”
Heyward finished the day 1-for-2 with a walk. He’s a cool 5-for-12 (.417) with five walks in his first 18 plate appearances. Getting excited about small samples sizes would be silly, but including a hit-by-pitch (thanks KLB!) that’s a .611 on-base percentage, folks! I suppose I’m going to have to get used to the Mets pitching around him for about the next 15 years.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)