A correction about where the reporters watch the game

Mar 9, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

Yesterday I wrote that most of the reporters covering the Mets “didn’t even bother” to go up to the press box to watch the game.  I owe those guys an apology.  I’m informed today — politely, by a writer who covered the Mets for several years, but who was not at the game Sunday — that most of the seasoned guys watch from the stands, near the scouts.  This makes perfect sense, really, given that they’re (a) better seats; and (b) you can get a lot more good info from hanging around scouts than you can from sitting up in the box.

Anyway, apologies if my ignorance on this point made a bad and misleading impression.  I stand by what I said later in the day:  the beat guys have a hard job and do it well.  Given that they weren’t up squinting from where I was, they probably do it better than I even imagined.

1. Curious George - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Craig, your humility has always been refreshing but you needn’t go overboard. You’re being overly magnanomous. Most beat guys may well be fine fellows, but let’s be frank, they don’t really do a great job. Don’t feel that because you’re new to the job and don’t know your salad fork from your shrimp fork that you have to defer to them.

2. Michael - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

It’s hard swimming among the sharks, huh?

3. Ryan - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Given the recent history, I’m surprised the writers don’t watch the game from the trainers room – it seems they’d see more Mets players there than on the field at any given time.

4. David - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM

hmmm…let’s see,you can BOTH 1,eat, 2, heckle, 3, drink beer
    then you can set it up to reject critical comments, pretty slick jerk.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

George — point taken, but I don’t feel like I’m going overboard here. I’m learning about what these guys do this week (and did some at the Winter Meetings as well). I think their mandate from their employers is a little different than what we as readers think it is sometimes, at least in terms of the mechanics and everything.
    I’m certainly not going to give anyone blank checks for bad writing — and the opinion guys like Heyman and whoever will get no slack from me whatsoever — but there is an art to on-the-ground reporting that I’m appreciating more as I sit right here in the box and in the locker room with them and watch them do it.
    In this narrow case — where the reporters were during the game — I was wrong, and the fact that I was wrong ended up unfairly portraying those guys as not doing their job, and that just wasn’t true.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)