A-Rod may be in hot water with the Yankees

Mar 9, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

When the news hit last week that the feds wanted to talk to Alex Rodriguez about Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor in the cross-hairs of an HGH investigation, A-Rod said “this was about someone else.”  The impression which was created, whether A-Rod intended to create it with those words or not, was that he never received treatment from Galea. For their part, the Yankees said that they knew nothing about A-Rod being treated by Galea and said that they never authorized such a thing.

Which makes this all rather problematic:

A sports doctor at the centre of drug
investigations in Canada and the United States said Monday he treated
Alex Rodriguez after the Yankees slugger had hip surgery last year and
prescribed anti-inflammatories but not human growth hormone . . . “He had a damaged hip. Inflamed. It was damaged,” Galea said in an
interview at his clinic. “He needed anti-inflammatories for his hip. I
was basically helping in the rehab.”

The Yankees are standing by their statement that they never approved such treatment. Which could be a big problem if the treatment is determined to have been necessary as opposed to elective, because a team is supposed to sign off on necessary treatments (see, Beltran, Carlos).

The New York media went bananas last week trying to turn this into a steroids story.  It’s really not, not even as it applies to A-Rod.  It is, however, starting to look like another one of those A-Rod-lives-to-create-PR-headache stories, and the New York media is really good at going bananas over those too. So it looks like a sleepy spring training in Tampa just woke the hell up.

1. Joey B - Mar 9, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I thought diabetics with low blood sugar simply passed out.
    But not that that matters. You still need to make assumptions. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the local pubs. In all that time, I’ve only seen one person cut off that wasn’t drunk. He had a florid complexion and his eyelids gave him a look of someone’s eyes rolling back, and he actually got cut off at the Cask & Flagon.
    Still, the bartender needs to make a decision. He assumed my friend was drunk. Even though he was on his first beer, I found nothing unusual or wrong about the bartender’s judgement. People make judgements everyday. You vote for someone, right? You really don’t know whether or not he/she is the best candidate, you use your best judgement.
    Again, if someone asked you if you thought that ARod was still using PEDs, or if he wasn’t, what would you choose? Based on the fact that the doctor in question administers HGH and has been caught smuggling them over the border, based on the fact that he didn’t inform the doctor in charge of his recovery, based on the fact he didn’t tell the NYY, based on his history, I think his excuse that he flew up to Canada for an anti-imflammatory is almost absurd.
    Now, in face of the evidence, do you think he was there for an anti-inflammatory, or there for PEDs?

2. YANKEES1996 - Mar 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM

What are we going to discuss assumption or judgement? The story about the doctor is not based on his smuggling of HGH it is based on his smuggling of a non-approved drug called Actovegin. He was not caught at the border with HGH, his assistant was and according to him it was a very small amount intended for his use. The doctor has also stated that he has never given HGH to any athletes and as far as I have heard there are no reports that he did. The doctor that did A-Rods’ surgery Dr. Marc Phillipon apparently consulted with Dr. Galea about A-Rods’ recovery. A-Rod has not made any statements except for he does not know when the Feds want to talk to him and that he is going to cooperate with them. A-Rod also has said nothing about having flown to Canada to see Dr. Galea, so you will have to tell me where that report is from as I have not heard about that as of yet. Dr. Galea has said that his only involvement was to prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs. In the face of the evidence so far I do not think that A-Rod has done anything wrong and I have not seen or heard all the evidence against the doctor so I will assume that both of the men are innocent until they are proven guilty or they admit to their wrongdoings.

3. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

While I waited for my duck to finish roasting, I got to thinkin’ about what it would mean to A-Road to be in “hot water” with the Borg. Would he be benched? Would he be forced to play shortstop? Would he – disgrace of disgraces – be forced to be a…a…designated hitter like some gimpy, over-the-hill role player of yesterday? Suspended? Banished? Sent out into the fields in China with the other worker-intellectuals? Will they summon Madonna to bite his tushy? Somehow I doubt if his “hot water” will be as problematic as your hot water or mine. Matter of fack, I strongly suspect that it will be too tepid even to shave with.

4. Joey B - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM

According to a report, Philippon denied giving Galea permission to treat Rodriguez.
    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/dark_cloud_still_VAqqi6WxyhFBH7AwuUJimL#ixzz0hmk2hJaq
    Do you really think it makes sense for ARod to fly to Canada, without telling the guy responsible for his care, and without telling the NYY, in violation of his contract?
    If it was you, would you fly 3,000 miles for anti-inflammatories, not tell anyone, for stuff you could buy across the street?

5. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Sure, if I thought I could save ten or fifteen bucks on it.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3653)