Mar 9, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
Cal Ripken tells Bloomberg that the managing itch is getting stronger, and as the years go by he’s more and more likely to scratch it.
The Hall of Famer, who retired in 2001 after 21 years with the Orioles, has said before that he was interested in managing, but wanted to wait until his kids had grown up and left home. Well, that time is coming, as his daughter Rachel is in college and his son Ryan is a sophomore in high school.
“I valued that time frame and I wanted to be there, and I’m starting to think about it a little more now,” Ripken said in an interview with Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg Surveillance.” “When my boy goes off to college, if there’s a time to come back to the game, maybe that’s the time.”
I’m not surprised Ripken would like to get back into the game, and it’s admirable that he is waiting until his kids are grown. It seems like a lot of ballplayers, after giving the “I want to spend more time with my family” speech, last about a year before going stir crazy.
What I’m worried about, however, is what Cal will do the first time one of his players asks to take a day off.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)