Cal Ripken thinking seriously about managing

Mar 9, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT

Cal Ripken tells Bloomberg that the managing itch is getting stronger, and as the years go by he’s more and more likely to scratch it.

The Hall of Famer, who retired in 2001 after 21 years with the Orioles, has said before that he was interested in managing, but wanted to wait until his kids had grown up and left home. Well, that time is coming, as his daughter Rachel is in college and his son Ryan is a sophomore in high school.

“I valued that time frame and I wanted to be there, and I’m starting to think about it a little more now,” Ripken said in an interview with Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg Surveillance.” “When my boy goes off to college, if there’s a time to come back to the game, maybe that’s the time.”

I’m not surprised Ripken would like to get back into the game, and it’s admirable that he is waiting until his kids are grown. It seems like a lot of ballplayers, after giving the “I want to spend more time with my family” speech, last about a year before going stir crazy.

What I’m worried about, however, is what Cal will do the first time one of his players asks to take a day off.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. fp540 - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

If there’s anyone in Major League Baseball that has the perfect credentials, it is without a doubt, Cal Ripken. If he decides to get into managing baseball, my questions where does this Hall of Famer start, high school, college, triple AAA, where? If he decides to professional, well Cal, the only place that you belong is with the Baltimore Orioles; anywhere else, it would be a crime. Wish you the best Cal, just remember that the pressure to win…is intense and with your history anything less than a championship will mean little….
    Better yet Cal, why don’t you BUY out Peter Angelos (Majority owner of my beloved Orioles) and bring back the true essence of baseball back to Baltimore. Angelos has done absolutely nothing and only uses the Orioles as a “Tax” exemption.

2. jwb - Mar 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Ripken owns A ball affiliates of the Orioles, Giants, and Rays. He lives in Aberdeen, MD, where the Orioles’ NY-P team, which he owns, plays. That narrows things down a bit.

3. Robert - Mar 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I agree. Cal, you should forget about managing and buy the O’s. You’ll end up frustrated as a manager by players that don’t have your talent, work ethic or passion for the game. Don’t damage your reputation. Failure to have a winning team would do that to you. BTW, Angelos ain’t losing money on the O’s, especially with the sweet MASN deal he got. But it would be nice to see an owner that doesn’t look at it like just other one of his businesses.

4. Grant - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:49 AM

How rich do people think Cal is? Owning a few A-ball teams out in smallish suburbanish towns is one thing. The Orioles are worth quite a lot more. This came up in some other thread in relation to Jeter becoming a Yankees owner. I’m sorry, but Cal can’t afford to be a majority owner. He can probably afford to be a figurehead with a stake in the team, but some lawyer or real estate mogul or what have you is going to have the real juice.

5. Runner67 - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I think Cal would make a great manager and who knows but his work ethic might rub off on some of the younger players.

6. donnll - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Bottom line, Cal was GREAT at everything he’s done in the past and will be GREAT at whatever he does in the future.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2554)