Daisuke Matsuzaka wants to play 10 more years

Mar 9, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT

matsuzaka sunglasses.JPGDaisuke Matsuzaka spent seven years playing professional ball in Japan before inking a six-year, $52 million contract with the Red Sox in February of 2007.  He owns a 4.00 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP and a 37-21 record over his first three major league seasons and is apparently loving every minute of his time in the states.

Dice-K told Rob Bradford of Boston-based WEEI.com Tuesday that he wants to stick around for another 10 MLB seasons.

“I think both personally and from a family standpoint we’re all enjoying
our lives over here in the U.S., and if at all possible I would like to
play over here as long as I can,” Matsuzaka said through translator Masa Hoshino. “I guess in the very least I hope that I can play for
at least another 10 years here in the U.S. Yeah, 10 years is a long
time and it’s tough to imagine what it’s going to be like that far out,
but at the same time when I’m 40, or older than 40, I want to still be
able to pitch.”

Matsuzaka will turn 30 later this season and has already struggled with multiple injuries, but it’s not all that uncommon for baseball careers to extend into age 40.  He’s under Red Sox control for the next three seasons, so we can say for certain he’ll be state-side through at least 2012.

1. Rikki Tikki - Mar 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

How old will he be 50?????!!!!!!! He probaly said he wants to play 2 but the translator was like no i might be out of a job and said 10.

2. Nasty Boy - Mar 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Good luck, maybe in Japan, he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of holding up for ten years in the major leagues. Check that, he must of meant as a batting practice pitcher.

3. dp - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

This guy must be drinking too much saki. I look for his ass to get pounded real good this year. I think this will be his third year, and he didn’t fool anyone last year (5.76era) he’ll be lucky if he makes another two years, and that might be as a part time bp pitcher.

4. Cru11 - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:37 AM

BP Pitcher? In order to throw BP you have to have rhythm. I imagine his BP to go something like this: Ball around the ankles, Ball in on the hands, takes a step back and wipes the sweat from his brow, piped fastball followed by a gyrocopter-eephus in the dirt and the cycle continues. I swear he take 30 minutes to get 3 outs.

5. Ryan - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM

LMAO. I used to loathe Steve Trachsel games, now I loathe Matsuzaka’s starts. Even worse if its BOS v. NYY, then a 4 hour game becomes a 5 hour game.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate