Mar 9, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka spent seven years playing professional ball in Japan before inking a six-year, $52 million contract with the Red Sox in February of 2007. He owns a 4.00 ERA, a 1.40 WHIP and a 37-21 record over his first three major league seasons and is apparently loving every minute of his time in the states.
Dice-K told Rob Bradford of Boston-based WEEI.com Tuesday that he wants to stick around for another 10 MLB seasons.
“I think both personally and from a family standpoint we’re all enjoying
our lives over here in the U.S., and if at all possible I would like to
play over here as long as I can,” Matsuzaka said through translator Masa Hoshino. “I guess in the very least I hope that I can play for
at least another 10 years here in the U.S. Yeah, 10 years is a long
time and it’s tough to imagine what it’s going to be like that far out,
but at the same time when I’m 40, or older than 40, I want to still be
able to pitch.”
Matsuzaka will turn 30 later this season and has already struggled with multiple injuries, but it’s not all that uncommon for baseball careers to extend into age 40. He’s under Red Sox control for the next three seasons, so we can say for certain he’ll be state-side through at least 2012.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)