Jason Kendall involved in ugly custody battle

Mar 9, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT

TMZ had it first and now the Kansas City Star has picked up on Jason Kendall’s appearance yesterday in a Los Angeles court, where the Royals catcher tried to get permission to bring his two children with him to Kansas City during the season.
His ex-wife Chantel Kendall tried to block the move while appearing in court alongside her boyfriend Sean Stewart, who happens to be Rod Stewart’s son. So yeah, no wonder TMZ is involved.
Anyway, the case has been “continued” until March 18, but court documents show that Kendall’s ex-wife has accused him of abusing the prescription medication Adderall, which he apparently takes for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). TMZ also reports that “there have been numerous accusations between Jason and Chantel of physical and emotional abuse.”
“I won’t dignify the ridiculous accusations that were made,” Kendall told Bob Dutton of the Star. “I’m not going to get into a debate in the papers and the media. It’s a personal family matter that I would like to keep private.”

1. Ryan - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

My face hurts from the force of that beating of truth you just gave us all OG. Sign my boobs!

2. Curious George - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

“I don’t think you are the one that’s makes the decisions about what does and does not get put on HBT.”
    You’re certainly astute. Yes indeed, I am not the one who decides these things. But I can certainly weigh in with an opinion.

3. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

All eight of them? Hell, howsabout you just make a plaster cast of ‘em and I’ll sign those. At least that way I won’t have to worry about you rolling over on me, you parthenogenic lil’ thang you.

4. Bear - Mar 9, 2010 at 7:43 PM

“This site can aspire to a higher standard than TMZ. Let those who wish to spend time in the gutter seek that gutter out elsewhere.”
    Or if you think reading this story about Jason Kendall constitutes spending time in the gutter, why wouldn’t you seek other outlets for you baseball news? That would make the most sense to me. Trust me, you saying the media should stay away from the story isn’t going to change anything. However, you visiting another site will.

5. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM

So let’s see, you advised me not to read posts I didn’t like (although how I would know I didn’t like them without reading them seems a bit convoluted), and you advise Curious George to go someplace else if he’s not happy with the level of discourse here. You’re real big on cutting and running, aintcha? Last time I saw such rabid defense of a status quo, it was a medical industry lobbyist handing a suitcase of money to his congressman. But looking back over this thread, I don’t see anywhere that either George nor I solicited your gratuitous and unabashedly solipsistic advice. On the other hand, you’ll notice that I’m not telling you to take your unwanted and counterproductive suggestions and cram them up your cloaca. I mean, you didn’t ask me for my advice, did you?

6. Bear - Mar 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Pretty simple, bud, there are titles. You can get a pretty good idea about the content of the post from the title. So if it mentions divorce, assault, or any other topic you deem unnewsworthy, just move along.
    When you post a comment, you are leaving it open to subsequent posts from others…thus my advice to you. It was unsolicited, but like I said it’s the nature of the comments section.
    Nice analogy of the congressman…I don’t really see how it remotely relates here. Apples to orages.

7. Ron - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM

Great point, Old Gator. I was making the mistake of using common sense and human decency to make a point. I lost my head. I’ll try not to do that again.

8. Charles Gates - Mar 10, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Yes, you’re arguing with me. Should the custody battle become somehow baseball related, I would hope that the post is titled something more appropriate and not so Paris Hilton-esque.
    I come here because Aaron, DJ, Craig, Bob et al present baseball information/news in such a way that is intelligent and well thought out. My criticism of this post is a criticism of this post, not the blog HBT in its entirety. I hope it is taken as honest customer feedback. I come here because I get the baseball news I want, reported the way I want. I just personally feel that this falls short of what I’ve come to expect.

9. ecp - Mar 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM

“Pillory Kendall for his lack of baseball acumen and the Royals for their lack of judgement…”
    Other than signing Kendall in the first place, how are the Royals showing a lack of judgment here? They didn’t release the information or ask the KC Star to write about it.

10. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I suspect that what George meant was precisely the team’s lack of judgment in signing him.

11. bobk310 - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Whether you are a Kendall fan or not from his days on the field, kudos are deserved for his effort to bring his kids to a safer more stable environment. His train wreck of an ex-wife has voluntarily gone 2 years without seeing her younger 2 kids and over a year without talking to them. I don’t know what’s more disgusting, the fact she blatantly admits that, how she laughs about her rehab stints, or how she looks in person. Great PSA for kids to stay off drugs.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3540)