Mar 9, 2010, 10:55 PM EDT
Update: Here’s a quote from the translated version, available on ESPN.com:
“The specialists who took care of me in New York have told me that I’m
fine and that there’s nothing wrong with my thyroid. The test [taken to
follow one conducted during his physical] showed that I’m fine. We just
have to wait for the results of the additional test. The [doctors] found
inflammation in my throat and no medicine to treat the thyroid or any
other condition has been prescribed.“
We await some clarification from the team on Wednesday.
10:40 pm: Interesting. According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Reyes denied reports about his thyroid, stating that he only had inflammation in his throat and did not need drugs for a thyroid condition. Reyes said that he was only told to avoid seafood because of its iodine content and be checked out every three weeks.
Of course, there is a relationship between iodine and the thyroid gland, so perhaps there’s some semantics at play here — or my Google translator is completely wrong. Reyes acknowledged that he is still awaiting results of a second test, so a full course of action hasn’t been determined yet.
7:00 pm: According to Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News, Jose Reyes has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. The club would reveal little else this evening, other than to say Reyes will remain in New York for additional tests to determine treatment. Results of the tests are not expected before Thursday.
A well-deserved dark cloud follows nearly every medical situation surrounding the Mets at this point, but this particular thyroid condition is not considered serious and is fully-treatable with medication. There’s no word on when Reyes will be able to resume baseball activities, but this figures to be only a minor setback.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 42
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 46
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 7
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months