Mar 9, 2010, 10:55 PM EDT
Update: Here’s a quote from the translated version, available on ESPN.com:
“The specialists who took care of me in New York have told me that I’m
fine and that there’s nothing wrong with my thyroid. The test [taken to
follow one conducted during his physical] showed that I’m fine. We just
have to wait for the results of the additional test. The [doctors] found
inflammation in my throat and no medicine to treat the thyroid or any
other condition has been prescribed.“
We await some clarification from the team on Wednesday.
10:40 pm: Interesting. According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Jose Reyes denied reports about his thyroid, stating that he only had inflammation in his throat and did not need drugs for a thyroid condition. Reyes said that he was only told to avoid seafood because of its iodine content and be checked out every three weeks.
Of course, there is a relationship between iodine and the thyroid gland, so perhaps there’s some semantics at play here — or my Google translator is completely wrong. Reyes acknowledged that he is still awaiting results of a second test, so a full course of action hasn’t been determined yet.
7:00 pm: According to Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News, Jose Reyes has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. The club would reveal little else this evening, other than to say Reyes will remain in New York for additional tests to determine treatment. Results of the tests are not expected before Thursday.
A well-deserved dark cloud follows nearly every medical situation surrounding the Mets at this point, but this particular thyroid condition is not considered serious and is fully-treatable with medication. There’s no word on when Reyes will be able to resume baseball activities, but this figures to be only a minor setback.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)