Mar 9, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Mat Gamel exited yesterday’s game with a sore right shoulder, which is the same injury that caused him to sit out the Brewers’ first three spring training games last week.
He suffered the initial injury while taking batting practice last Thursday, but was also sidelined by a right shoulder impingement last spring. Gamel insists that his current shoulder problem is unrelated to the issues he had almost exactly one year ago, but as manager Ken Macha put it: “We have to get this nipped in the bud.”
Between his defensive shortcomings and Casey McGehee’s emergence as a rookie last season Gamel seemed unlikely to make the Opening Day roster to begin with, so the injury just makes those odds even longer. Unless it turns out to be something serious, of course.
Gamel has proven MLB-ready offensively, holding his own in 148 plate appearances with the Brewers after posting an OPS above .800 at every level in the minors, but Prince Fielder blocks his path at first base and the 24-year-old former top prospect will need to either improve his glove or have McGehee falter to take over at third base.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)