Mar 9, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
While acknowledging that the Orioles are confident Brian Roberts will be ready for the start of the season, team president Andy MacPhail concedes that he is beginning to worry about the pace of his recovery.
“It’s getting to be something that’s on my radar screen, even though at
the present time our athletic staff feels like he’s going to be ready by
Opening Day. By now we have to start thinking about, ‘What if he isn’t
Roberts was diagnosed with a small herniated disk in his back last month and experienced a setback this week with a reaction to some anti-inflammatory medication. Currently suffering with “flu-like” symptoms, Roberts is expected to be sidelined from baseball activities through at least Thursday. As the regular season looms, MacPhail hasn’t ruled out seeking outside help if Roberts continues to face setbacks.
“We will see what’s out there,” he said. “Obviously, we have weekly
calls with our pro scouts, and we have to let them know what’s going on
in our camp. We might have to shift their focus a little bit from what
the initial menu was. And then, obviously, we are going to have to start
exploring more internal options as well.”
There isn’t much left in free agency, but looking at current internal options, Justin Turner could be a decent stopgap in a pinch. Turner, 25, was acquired from the Reds in the Ramon Hernandez trade in 2008. He doesn’t project to be a major league regular, however he has a .307/.373/.430 batting line over four seasons in the minors, doesn’t strike out often and won’t hurt you with the glove. Unfortunately, he’s currently nursing a foot contusion.
Of course, the real concern is if Roberts’ back problems will be a lingering issue throughout the season.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)