So what do the Twins do now?

Mar 9, 2010, 9:36 AM EDT

With the news that Nathan is staring Tommy John surgery in the face, what happens to the Twins?

Gardenhire suggested that they’d look in house.  Maybe, but of course he was standing three feet from a dejected Joe Nathan when he said that, so it’s not like it was the right setting to say “we’re going to go out and trade for Kerry Wood” or something.

But there are options in-house, which my friend The Common Man — who may or may not own a time machine considering he wrote this yesterday — breaks down. Definitely worth a click.

I’ll let people more knowledgeable about the Twins than I am [cough!] Aaron Gleeman [cough!] opine if TCM pegs it or not.  My gut reaction is to go closer-by-committee for a while and see who separates themselves from the pack.  Of course you can’t call it closer by committee because that’s dumb cyber computer baseball, and you simply can’t do that.

1. Grant - Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I suggest they go closer-by-committee for a while, and then look how the trade market shakes out if they’re still in it but think they need a new closer. Wood should be available, and Mike Gonzalez figures to be out there (though he has a two-year deal). Soria, maybe, though he’ll probably be pricey. Anyway, I’m sure they’ll have trade options if they wish to go that way.

So, we have to type in little two-word phrases now on this page. Annoying, but I suppose it’s necessary and not too out of the ordinary.

2. BC - Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Neshek is coming back isn’t he? Figure you just swap him in…

3. Josh Fisher - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

As we speak, Rany Jazayerly is slinking off to Arizona to lock Dayton Moore in a closet before he can trade Soria for Delmon Young.

4. Josh Fisher - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

And, naturally, I misspell Rany’s name. Jazayerli. I know that.

5. Wooden. U. Lykteneau - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

This just in: The closer-by-committee was what managers did prior to Tony LaRussa. It’s true. And you know what else? It has been known to work outside of small markets.

6. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM

The Tweens should be patient. Kevin Gregg will be available by June.
    Incidentally, I see we’ve got some serious anti-spam defenses going up here. About time. Now, if we could just provide some of these clowns with spell and grammar checkers….

7. Jonny5 - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Maybe they could just do without a closer? Like Philly last season.
    Ok, the spam blocker is asking me to type in cun nilingus. What’s up wid dat? Although I am a fan of it, is it appropriate?

8. The Common Man - Mar 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Damn you Gator, don’t you dare even joke about that.

9. Old Gator - Mar 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM

My apologies. You’re right. Gregg was funny pitching for the Cubs because…well…because ancient curses are inherently funny. But no, there would be nothing funny about him landing with the Tweens. Even under the best of circumstances, it’s going to be a long enough weenter up there as it is.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB