Mar 10, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Remember when you were a freshman in high school and you bummed a ride off the cool, older kid who already had his license and a car? No? Well trust me, it’s a defining moment, one that can bring instant credibility to your high school existence. Unless of course, the driver is this guy.
Derek Jeter, obviously, is not that guy. On the contrary, he’s just about the coolest guy on the planet. So you can imagine the excitement Curtis Granderson felt riding around in the back of Jeter’s Mercedes on Monday as the players returned to Tampa after a game in Brandenton.
Alex Rodriguez rode shotgun, and somehow Randy Winn also managed to find a spot. I can only assume Winn was a stow-away, sneaking into the back seat while Jeter and A-Rod fought off the autograph hounds. Once they discovered him, it was too late.
Take it away, New York Times:
“At first glance, you sit there and go, ‘Man, you know, do I call home and tell my friends who I got a ride with?’ ” Granderson said.
In the end, he didn’t. Granderson was too busy trying to navigate. Apparently, the G.P.S. in Jeter’s Mercedes was showing a different route back to Tampa from the system in Granderson’s iPhone.
Granderson did have one freshman moment, however, when he asked Jeter what all the switches and buttons in the back seat were for. Jeter’s response? “I don’t know, I’m never back there.”
Uh oh, kid. Back to the bus you go.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)