Mar 10, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Remember when you were a freshman in high school and you bummed a ride off the cool, older kid who already had his license and a car? No? Well trust me, it’s a defining moment, one that can bring instant credibility to your high school existence. Unless of course, the driver is this guy.
Derek Jeter, obviously, is not that guy. On the contrary, he’s just about the coolest guy on the planet. So you can imagine the excitement Curtis Granderson felt riding around in the back of Jeter’s Mercedes on Monday as the players returned to Tampa after a game in Brandenton.
Alex Rodriguez rode shotgun, and somehow Randy Winn also managed to find a spot. I can only assume Winn was a stow-away, sneaking into the back seat while Jeter and A-Rod fought off the autograph hounds. Once they discovered him, it was too late.
Take it away, New York Times:
“At first glance, you sit there and go, ‘Man, you know, do I call home and tell my friends who I got a ride with?’ ” Granderson said.
In the end, he didn’t. Granderson was too busy trying to navigate. Apparently, the G.P.S. in Jeter’s Mercedes was showing a different route back to Tampa from the system in Granderson’s iPhone.
Granderson did have one freshman moment, however, when he asked Jeter what all the switches and buttons in the back seat were for. Jeter’s response? “I don’t know, I’m never back there.”
Uh oh, kid. Back to the bus you go.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)