Mar 10, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
Remember when you were a freshman in high school and you bummed a ride off the cool, older kid who already had his license and a car? No? Well trust me, it’s a defining moment, one that can bring instant credibility to your high school existence. Unless of course, the driver is this guy.
Derek Jeter, obviously, is not that guy. On the contrary, he’s just about the coolest guy on the planet. So you can imagine the excitement Curtis Granderson felt riding around in the back of Jeter’s Mercedes on Monday as the players returned to Tampa after a game in Brandenton.
Alex Rodriguez rode shotgun, and somehow Randy Winn also managed to find a spot. I can only assume Winn was a stow-away, sneaking into the back seat while Jeter and A-Rod fought off the autograph hounds. Once they discovered him, it was too late.
Take it away, New York Times:
“At first glance, you sit there and go, ‘Man, you know, do I call home and tell my friends who I got a ride with?’ ” Granderson said.
In the end, he didn’t. Granderson was too busy trying to navigate. Apparently, the G.P.S. in Jeter’s Mercedes was showing a different route back to Tampa from the system in Granderson’s iPhone.
Granderson did have one freshman moment, however, when he asked Jeter what all the switches and buttons in the back seat were for. Jeter’s response? “I don’t know, I’m never back there.”
Uh oh, kid. Back to the bus you go.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?