Mar 10, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Scary moment here in Ft. Myers. In the bottom of the second, Adrian Beltre’s bat shattered and the barrel shot out to the mound, striking David Price on the right (non-pitching) hand. It was hard to see where it hit as it happened, but he left the game with his hand wrapped in a towel. A few minutes ago the announcement came over the PA that he had “an abrasion on his right plam.” Maybe he should start wearing a glove or something.
Anyway, I’m not sure if Adrian Beltre swings a maple bat or not, but whatever it was, it was scary as hell. I worry that someone is going to get seriously hurt by a bat shard one of these days.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)