Mar 10, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
I tuned into yesterday afternoon’s Nationals-Tigers game just to see Stephen Strasburg’s spring training debut, but also got a look at Cristian Guzman’s surgically repaired right shoulder as he lobbed a weak, high-arcing throw to first base after fielding a Strasburg-induced grounder.
Even before the injury Guzman was pretty lax with his throws to first base, dating all the way back to his time with the Twins from 1999-2004, but yesterday’s effort looked like it had a parachute attached and sure enough today manager Jim Riggleman told Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com that the shortstop “is a little concerned to air it out.”
Riggleman estimated that Guzman’s shoulder is “probably at about 90 percent” strength, which if true should worry the Nationals quite a bit because adding 10 percent to yesterday’s throws still equals a whole lot of infield hits.
Shortstop prospect Ian Desmond has been impressive early in camp, but Goessling notes that Guzman likely isn’t in any danger of losing his starting job. Instead the Nationals have been giving Desmond reps as a right fielder in addition to moving him around the infield. Desmond may begin the year as a utility man, but there’s a strong chance he’ll have unseated Guzman or second baseman Adam Kennedy by midseason.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)