Mar 10, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
On the day he hinted that he was all lined up to become the Dodgers’ next manager, Don Mattingly had an embarrasing gaffe Wednesday, as his team was caught hitting out of order.
Mattingly, who has never managed at any level, was serving as the Dodgers’ interim manager with Joe Torre off handling half the squad in a series of exhbititions in Taiwan.
The issue today was that there were two different lineup cards, one with Matt Kemp hitting second and Andre Ethier batting third and the other with the two reversed.
According to the AP:
Ethier came to the plate twice in a span of three Dodgers batters. Crew chief Mike Winters wanted Ethier to hit behind Matt Kemp to adhere to the lineup card the Dodgers submitted to the umpires before the game.
Ethier went deep during the second of those at-bats.
The Dodgers and Diamondbacks ended up playing to a 4-4 tie in 10 innings.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)