Mar 10, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
On the day he hinted that he was all lined up to become the Dodgers’ next manager, Don Mattingly had an embarrasing gaffe Wednesday, as his team was caught hitting out of order.
Mattingly, who has never managed at any level, was serving as the Dodgers’ interim manager with Joe Torre off handling half the squad in a series of exhbititions in Taiwan.
The issue today was that there were two different lineup cards, one with Matt Kemp hitting second and Andre Ethier batting third and the other with the two reversed.
According to the AP:
Ethier came to the plate twice in a span of three Dodgers batters. Crew chief Mike Winters wanted Ethier to hit behind Matt Kemp to adhere to the lineup card the Dodgers submitted to the umpires before the game.
Ethier went deep during the second of those at-bats.
The Dodgers and Diamondbacks ended up playing to a 4-4 tie in 10 innings.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)