Mar 10, 2010, 6:57 PM EST
On the day he hinted that he was all lined up to become the Dodgers’ next manager, Don Mattingly had an embarrasing gaffe Wednesday, as his team was caught hitting out of order.
Mattingly, who has never managed at any level, was serving as the Dodgers’ interim manager with Joe Torre off handling half the squad in a series of exhbititions in Taiwan.
The issue today was that there were two different lineup cards, one with Matt Kemp hitting second and Andre Ethier batting third and the other with the two reversed.
According to the AP:
Ethier came to the plate twice in a span of three Dodgers batters. Crew chief Mike Winters wanted Ethier to hit behind Matt Kemp to adhere to the lineup card the Dodgers submitted to the umpires before the game.
Ethier went deep during the second of those at-bats.
The Dodgers and Diamondbacks ended up playing to a 4-4 tie in 10 innings.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)