Mar 10, 2010, 6:57 PM EST
On the day he hinted that he was all lined up to become the Dodgers’ next manager, Don Mattingly had an embarrasing gaffe Wednesday, as his team was caught hitting out of order.
Mattingly, who has never managed at any level, was serving as the Dodgers’ interim manager with Joe Torre off handling half the squad in a series of exhbititions in Taiwan.
The issue today was that there were two different lineup cards, one with Matt Kemp hitting second and Andre Ethier batting third and the other with the two reversed.
According to the AP:
Ethier came to the plate twice in a span of three Dodgers batters. Crew chief Mike Winters wanted Ethier to hit behind Matt Kemp to adhere to the lineup card the Dodgers submitted to the umpires before the game.
Ethier went deep during the second of those at-bats.
The Dodgers and Diamondbacks ended up playing to a 4-4 tie in 10 innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)