Mar 10, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
The Braves right-hander lasted just one inning against the Mets, allowing three runs after a blister popped on his right (push-off) foot. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had blister problems earlier in his career because of the way he drags his foot. He has since wrapped the toe, which solved the problem. On Wednesday he decided to go sans-wrap.
“My whole career I always had to wrap it, because I’d drag my toe and it does this,” he said, pointing to the blistered area. “I’ve had no problem with it all offseason, [spring] bullpens, the last game, nothing. Then after the third pitch — we’ve got issues.”
Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has been around the game for approximately 1,000 years and has seen everything there is to see, called it “about the nastiest blister I’ve ever seen.” I like the use of “about” in this quote, as if to imply that if he searched his memory banks he might be able to remember a nastier blister, but he’ll spare us all and just sort of assume Lowe’s was the nastiest.
On a more serious note, Cox said that he hoped Lowe would not miss his next start, but that if he did, he could still be ready for the season.
Just remember to wrap it up from now on Derek. Please.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)