Mar 10, 2010, 11:38 PM EST
The Braves right-hander lasted just one inning against the Mets, allowing three runs after a blister popped on his right (push-off) foot. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had blister problems earlier in his career because of the way he drags his foot. He has since wrapped the toe, which solved the problem. On Wednesday he decided to go sans-wrap.
“My whole career I always had to wrap it, because I’d drag my toe and it does this,” he said, pointing to the blistered area. “I’ve had no problem with it all offseason, [spring] bullpens, the last game, nothing. Then after the third pitch — we’ve got issues.”
Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has been around the game for approximately 1,000 years and has seen everything there is to see, called it “about the nastiest blister I’ve ever seen.” I like the use of “about” in this quote, as if to imply that if he searched his memory banks he might be able to remember a nastier blister, but he’ll spare us all and just sort of assume Lowe’s was the nastiest.
On a more serious note, Cox said that he hoped Lowe would not miss his next start, but that if he did, he could still be ready for the season.
Just remember to wrap it up from now on Derek. Please.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)