Mar 10, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
The Braves right-hander lasted just one inning against the Mets, allowing three runs after a blister popped on his right (push-off) foot. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had blister problems earlier in his career because of the way he drags his foot. He has since wrapped the toe, which solved the problem. On Wednesday he decided to go sans-wrap.
“My whole career I always had to wrap it, because I’d drag my toe and it does this,” he said, pointing to the blistered area. “I’ve had no problem with it all offseason, [spring] bullpens, the last game, nothing. Then after the third pitch — we’ve got issues.”
Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has been around the game for approximately 1,000 years and has seen everything there is to see, called it “about the nastiest blister I’ve ever seen.” I like the use of “about” in this quote, as if to imply that if he searched his memory banks he might be able to remember a nastier blister, but he’ll spare us all and just sort of assume Lowe’s was the nastiest.
On a more serious note, Cox said that he hoped Lowe would not miss his next start, but that if he did, he could still be ready for the season.
Just remember to wrap it up from now on Derek. Please.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)