Mar 10, 2010, 11:38 PM EDT
The Braves right-hander lasted just one inning against the Mets, allowing three runs after a blister popped on his right (push-off) foot. He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he had blister problems earlier in his career because of the way he drags his foot. He has since wrapped the toe, which solved the problem. On Wednesday he decided to go sans-wrap.
“My whole career I always had to wrap it, because I’d drag my toe and it does this,” he said, pointing to the blistered area. “I’ve had no problem with it all offseason, [spring] bullpens, the last game, nothing. Then after the third pitch — we’ve got issues.”
Braves manager Bobby Cox, who has been around the game for approximately 1,000 years and has seen everything there is to see, called it “about the nastiest blister I’ve ever seen.” I like the use of “about” in this quote, as if to imply that if he searched his memory banks he might be able to remember a nastier blister, but he’ll spare us all and just sort of assume Lowe’s was the nastiest.
On a more serious note, Cox said that he hoped Lowe would not miss his next start, but that if he did, he could still be ready for the season.
Just remember to wrap it up from now on Derek. Please.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)