Milton Bradley continues to not forget Chicago

Mar 10, 2010, 1:15 PM EST

For a guy wanting to put Chicago in his rear view mirror, Milton Bradley keeps looking back.  In an interview with ESPN, Bradley says that his time in the Windy City “was pretty bad,” and that he “would have rather tore my knee up and gone
through rehab all over again then have to deal with that.”

He also expands on his dustup with Lou Piniella in which Lou called Bradley a “piece of s—.”  Bradley:

“The next day, he called me into his office and wanted to apologize. I felt you put me on blast, called me out in front of
everybody, you’re going to apologize in front of everybody. He
didn’t choose to go that route, but I accepted his apology nonetheless,
because as a Christian that’s what you do. I don’t have time to hold
grudges against people, I’ve got enough stuff I’ve got to deal with.”

Much of the rest of the piece is about racist jeers he received and/or perceived while in Chicago.  He’s been remarkably consistent in talking about this since last year, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt on it and assume he’s telling the truth (it’s an ugly world, kids).  But at the same time, you’d hope that a guy in Bradley’s position would try and find a way and blow that kind of garbage off.  But he can’t. Bradley is often called “combustible,” but I think his biggest problem is that he’s one of the most overly-sensitive guys to ever play the game.  Even if that which he has experienced is unacceptable, it’s also not unprecedented, and there are few if any players who have reacted to slights both real and perceived as poorly as Milton Bradley has.

But this may be the worst part of it all:

Bradley said it became so uncomfortable that he rarely left his home. “I was a prisoner in my own home,” he said. “I pretty much stayed at home, ordered in every day, never went anywhere.”

My God. Things got so bad for Milton Bradley last year he became a blogger.

1. Jonny5 - Mar 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I hope Seattle put into his contract “thou shalt not speak” If not, they’re about to be in the same shape as Chicago was with this guy.

2. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

If Jackie Robinson had behaved like Milton Bradley, baseball would probably still be segregated.
    Then we’d get to hear some major league pewling out of Tori Hunter, no?

3. smsetnor - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Not saying that racism doesn’t exist in Chicago nor do I go to every game, but I’ve never heard anything racist at Wrigley. You’re right, dude is crazy sensitive.

4. Nasty Boy - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Gator , we should not give this malcontent any response at all, maybe he’ll just go away. As I posted earlier he’ll cause trouble wherever he goes.He’s another Sheffield, all the teams that their on are against them.Sheffield went as far as saying Joe Torre is a racist. Talk about a couple of scumbags, these two take the cake. I just feel sorry for Seattle , they’ll feel his wrath soon enough.

5. BC - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:28 PM

This guy is hysterical and a nut case at the same time. You can’t make this stuff up. Makes Oil Can Boyd look sane. He SHOULD have a blog.

6. IdahoMariner - Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM

actually, I watched the interview, and while he should just say “no more interviews, period” it actually started to bother me how persistent the interviewer was — not so much MB trying to air his grievances as just answer the questions. Yeah. He needs to shut up about the past. But he also needs to realize he doesn’t know how to shut up when he’s asked something, so no more interviews, Milton. Take the opportunity you’ve got, man, and let it all go and just play ball.

7. Michael - Mar 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Jonny, if he starts going off in the clubhouse Griffey will probably sneak up behind him and tickle him.

8. really? - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I love the way whites downplay racism. “he should just brush it off”. I guess if you’ve never been discriminated against you wouldnt know how it feels, and if you don’t know how it feels then your opinion doesnt really matter. If the guy sucks and he’s overpaid guess who’s fault it is? Milton didnt cut the check, the dumb @ss Cubs and their fans supported that. And if he got any hate mail, none of you would really know. How can you say he’s a liar? “If JR behaved like Milton the game would still be segregated?” you mean speaking out against hate mail? in case you didnt notice, most blacks dont even play baseball. you wonder why…

9. H23G - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM

this is funny..

10. IdahoMariner - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM

…and I should be clear, because I meant to make it clear in my prior comment and your post reminded me and made me smack my forehead in consternation…
    I should be clear that, when I say he should shut up about the past, it’s because it seems like it is in his best interest to do that so he can put it behind him and maybe get some space from all of the chicago media that don’t want to let it go and keep following him and dredging it all up, further trying to poison his time with his new team (which by all accounts he seems to be enjoying and seems to be producing for so far, so we’re happy here in Mariner land).
    Not only did MB seem to NOT be trying to vent about Chicago but just answer the interviewers questions, he seemed pretty believable, for what that’s worth. And I think it was Craig who posted or linked to a quote from one of MB’s chicago teammates who said that he saw some of the hate mail and was pretty distrubed by it. So yeah, that part? You can’t get paid enough for that to not bother you. No such thing as “and here’s ten million to take the sting out of racist @#$holes sending you hate mail and the rest of the generally un-restrained jerks who can’t be trusted to behave politely in public when you’re just trying to eat your dinner.” So that part, no, you don’t just brush it off so easily.
    I just want him to stop talking so the national media and the jerks from chicago get bored and find something else to do.

11. Josh - Mar 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Oh, boo-hoo: Milton Bradley had to stay home, with his millions of dollars, and not try to hit better, play better defense, or otherwise help the Cubs win baseball games. Dear Mr. Bradley: I do not care about you as a human being. You are not interesting, funny, or a great humanitarian. You’re only in my consciousness because you claim to be a baseball player. So do that. And when you aren’t actively doing that, go live your life out of my sight, please. You stole the fans’ money and time last year. Don’t act like Chicago owes you something, you weenie. I have no time for the sensitive man routine. Some of us actually have to, you know, go to work everyday and raise kids on a budget and live up to expectations or else we get, like, fired and have to be homeless and shit. But you have millions of dollars and still want my what? sympathy? tears for your racist suffering? At long last, sir, have you no sense of decency?

12. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Thanks for clarifying that issue on my behalf as well, IM. I didn’t mean to imply that people shouldn’t take a stand against racism; one of the things I’m proudest of is that my father was one of the first insurance company presidents in New York to promote Black and Hispanic underwriters to executive positions and once threw the president of another insurance company out of his building for insinuating that he was looking for trouble by doing so – and I marched in a number of civil rights demonstrations back in the 60s with his blessing, so this isn’t a neutral issue for me.
    But I’ll stand by what I said about Jackie Robinson. Robinson’s dignity won over as many converts – in the stands as well as in the dugouts – as his on the field skills. Bradley is behaving like a buffoon, taking more bait than a school of Nantucket bluefish and all that does is encourage more rats to come out of the walls. You’re right. The best way to blow off the idiots is to ignore the idiots. They’ll go look for someone else whose skin they can get under.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4873)
  2. M. Kemp (3451)
  3. J. Upton (2532)
  4. J. Kang (2508)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2484)
  1. C. McGehee (2464)