Minaya clarifies: Reyes has elevated thyroid level

Mar 10, 2010, 1:42 PM EDT

Responding to conflicting reports about Jose Reyes’ thyroid condition, general manager Omar Minaya said this afternoon that the Mets’ shortstop “has elevated thyroid levels” and is “waiting for test results.”
The confusion came yesterday, when Reyes was quoted by ESPN Deportes as saying: “The specialists who took care of me in New York have told me that I’m fine and that there’s nothing wrong with my thyroid. The test showed that I’m fine.”
Asked to explain the discrepancies between Reyes’ statements and information relayed by the team, Minaya said:

You’ll have to ask him that, but I can tell you I had a conversation with our doctors, I had a conversation with their representative, and we’re all in agreement that he has elevated thyroid levels. Like I said, I can’t answer for Jose. I do know that we had a conversation because I understand there was something said. But when we both left the conversation with the doctor and his representative, we were in agreement.

We’ve probably all come to expect nothing less from the Mets, of course. Either way, Reyes’ status for Opening Day is not believed to be in jeopardy.

1. ecp - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

There’s this too, which clarifies even more:

2. Jamie - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM

“They told me to put some ice on the goiter and the swelling should go down in a couple of days.”

3. Curious George - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Can the Mets do anything without stepping in it? What a messed up organization 18 ways till Tuesday.

4. BC - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Next thing you know Minaya and the medical staff will claim Reyes is pregnant and try to void his contract.

5. willie fan - Mar 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM

“I do know that we had a conversation because I understand there was something said.” Minaya is an idiot! Maybe he just looked up the word conversation in the dictionary lol!

6. BC - Mar 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM

He wouldn’t know what a dictionary is.

7. Gobias Industries - Mar 10, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I thought the Mets banned Minaya from…you know…talking. Daniel Webster he is not.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4079)