Nomar Garciaparra is retiring

Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT

I’m at the Red Sox camp today, and for the second straight day my timing is good.  As I got into the press box this morning they were setting up for a press conference. It won’t go down until later today, but the buzz in here is that the Red Sox are signing Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract, after which he will announce his retirement.  He’s going to take a job as an ESPN analyst.

The retirement is not unexpected. Boston signing him and allowing him to retire a Red Sox is not as expected, but it’s pretty damn classy if you ask me.

1. yankeh8r - Mar 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Pretty darn sweet! Even though he wasn’t clutch in the playoffs and he got injured a lot – he gave us some great years!

2. matt - Mar 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM

No way he passes his physical.

3. john larosa - Mar 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM

In the mold of Apreico and Ozzie, there style was there greatness,THANKS NOMAR

4. Noel - Mar 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Aparicio and Ozzie? No way! If you saw those guys you would say that Nomar couldn’t carry their jocks. He was a good player, but not in the same class as those guys.

5. Josh in DC - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Anyone who says Nomar wasn’t clutch for the Sox obviously wasn’t following the team before 2004. Just a preposterous statement of ignorance.

6. Nasty Boy - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I agree with you . If this helps any, this jerk must be a red sucks fan. They love the player when he’s on top of his game, but when time catches up with them a red sucks fan is the first to jump ship.Bob Seager has a song, its called “Ship of Fools”, the boston anthem.

7. Shian - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Weird, I’m a Red Sox fan but I also completely agree with Josh in DC. Is this ruining your narrow worldview at all?

8. Josh in DC - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I’m a Sox fan, and I remember DAMN well how Nomar and Pedro dragged a really lousy team into contention in 1999, and how terrific Nomar was in 1998’s (when Mo was stinking it up) and 1999’s playoffs.
    Honestly, he must have batted .500 in his first two postseasons. I remember thinking how this is what it must have been like for my dad to watch Yaz in September 1967, knowing he’d always come through.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2773)