Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
I’m at the Red Sox camp today, and for the second straight day my timing is good. As I got into the press box this morning they were setting up for a press conference. It won’t go down until later today, but the buzz in here is that the Red Sox are signing Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract, after which he will announce his retirement. He’s going to take a job as an ESPN analyst.
The retirement is not unexpected. Boston signing him and allowing him to retire a Red Sox is not as expected, but it’s pretty damn classy if you ask me.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)