Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
I’m at the Red Sox camp today, and for the second straight day my timing is good. As I got into the press box this morning they were setting up for a press conference. It won’t go down until later today, but the buzz in here is that the Red Sox are signing Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract, after which he will announce his retirement. He’s going to take a job as an ESPN analyst.
The retirement is not unexpected. Boston signing him and allowing him to retire a Red Sox is not as expected, but it’s pretty damn classy if you ask me.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)