Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
I’m at the Red Sox camp today, and for the second straight day my timing is good. As I got into the press box this morning they were setting up for a press conference. It won’t go down until later today, but the buzz in here is that the Red Sox are signing Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract, after which he will announce his retirement. He’s going to take a job as an ESPN analyst.
The retirement is not unexpected. Boston signing him and allowing him to retire a Red Sox is not as expected, but it’s pretty damn classy if you ask me.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 18
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)