Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
I’m at the Red Sox camp today, and for the second straight day my timing is good. As I got into the press box this morning they were setting up for a press conference. It won’t go down until later today, but the buzz in here is that the Red Sox are signing Nomar Garciaparra to a one-day contract, after which he will announce his retirement. He’s going to take a job as an ESPN analyst.
The retirement is not unexpected. Boston signing him and allowing him to retire a Red Sox is not as expected, but it’s pretty damn classy if you ask me.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)