Nomar: "My tank is empty"

Mar 10, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT

Nomar retires.JPGNomar is speaking right now.  He’s pretty emotional, but upbeat.  He said that he knew he was ready to retire when he was working out this offseason and realized that he had nothing left.  He recalled something one of his old teammates said when he retired: “I know my tank is empty.”

I took this to be a positive statement, not a negative one. It’s not that he still wants to play and doesn’t have the fuel at the ready to do it. He means that he’s given everything he had to give and won’t have any regrets later.  For what it’s worth, Nomar confirmed that he’s taking a job with ESPN, saying “even though I’m walking away from the game, I’m glad I don’t have to walk away completely.”

As for the sign-and-retire thing, Nomar said it was his idea — inspired in no small part by the warm ovation he received when he came back to Boston as a visiting player with the A’s last summer — and that he approached Theo Epstein about it first.  The Sox’ position: “When the history of the Boston Red Sox is written — again — there will be a very large and important chapter about Nomar Garciaparra.”

1. MK - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM

“At least Nomore can stand up tall, and say that he never cheated like his old team did!”
    Nothing’s ever been proven, of course, but there’s been quite a bit of speculation regarding Nomar’s possible use of PEDs.

2. ihateAries - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:58 PM

so they gave him one for the hell of it cause if i remeber they shipped him to the other losers the cubs at the deadline in 2004 .. i guess it was like a partin gift on the price is right … LOSER ARIES LOSER

3. AriesMUTHAblewME - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM

LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

4. juiceheads 04 - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM

He was like the 04 red sux. juice heads that had average careers before going on it. Like Mueller, Bellhorn, Ortiz, Manny (but he was a good player before it) Varitek, Timlin, and Millar. Wow the list goes on.

5. Aries - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Wow, all I said was that Nomar got a ring, and people should respect other people. I believe that ANY player who plays on ANY team who wins a world series that year receives a ring, regardless of if the player is on the team at the time of the WS or not. I remember when the baseball world was all about Nomar, Jeter, and A-Rod. I live in the midwest, and that was still what the baseball world was about back then. I had the chance to see Nomar and A-Rod play at that time too, and it was great for baseball. I never said the Red Sox are better than the Yankees or anything to that matter. I think if you’re a fan of one team, you should be a fan of baseball and be able to appreciate other player’s accomplishments. And that’s all I’m saying on this post.

6. NOMAH'SaFRAUD - Mar 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM

MY NAME SAYS IT ALL ..WHEN I CAME UP I WAS SPOKE OF IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS A-ROD AND JETER NOW I AM THE WHAT HAPPENED TO PART OF THE QUESTIONS .. I JUST WANNA STICK THE PESKY POLE IN MY ASS

7. jandersonpwco - Mar 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Gee, if you are going to be insulting, at least be original and/or remotely funny. Red Sux? Big Sloppy?? That’s the best you can come up with? And talk about the pot calling the kettle black (since I assume you are a Yankee fan still smarting from watching them be the only team in major league history to blow a 3-0 series lead) – ARod, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte….need I say more? Face it, the sad fact is that probably 80-90% of the significant players of the last 20 years probably used PED’s. There are probably guys that everyone considers “clean” that were pumping HGH or steroids (remember, just a short while back, people used to speculate how nice it would be when ARod overtook that “cheater” Bonds for the home run crown – oops!). Incidentally,probably 80-90% of the significant players of the previous 20 years were hopped up on greenies, so using medications for an edge is not a new phenomena.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win