Nomar: "My tank is empty"

Mar 10, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT

Nomar retires.JPGNomar is speaking right now.  He’s pretty emotional, but upbeat.  He said that he knew he was ready to retire when he was working out this offseason and realized that he had nothing left.  He recalled something one of his old teammates said when he retired: “I know my tank is empty.”

I took this to be a positive statement, not a negative one. It’s not that he still wants to play and doesn’t have the fuel at the ready to do it. He means that he’s given everything he had to give and won’t have any regrets later.  For what it’s worth, Nomar confirmed that he’s taking a job with ESPN, saying “even though I’m walking away from the game, I’m glad I don’t have to walk away completely.”

As for the sign-and-retire thing, Nomar said it was his idea — inspired in no small part by the warm ovation he received when he came back to Boston as a visiting player with the A’s last summer — and that he approached Theo Epstein about it first.  The Sox’ position: “When the history of the Boston Red Sox is written — again — there will be a very large and important chapter about Nomar Garciaparra.”

1. Alex - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Epstein then added, “and how I shipped his prima donna *** out of town on a rail.”

2. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Time to bury that kind of thing. There are plenty of active players that you can still think of as assholes, so you wouldn’t be losing much by cutting the guy a break. Here, one of the great ballplayers of his generation is packing it in with unaccustomed dignity. He’s one of the guys I tell my grandchildren I saw play. And if these herbal supplements and monkey gonads do what they’re supposed to do, I might even get to tell my great-grandchildren about him. Of course, by then they’ll be watching nothing but idoru playing in holographic stadiums, but what the hell. I’ll have my memories; Aricept will be on its tenth new-improved iteration by then.

3. Moses Green - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM

In order to win a World Series with a real SS (of the kind who can catch the ball,) the best defensive 1B of that time in Doug Mientkja;krghtja;kolgh, and Dave Roberts. Theo proved to be ahead of his time in embracing UZR. Now people act like Jack Z. invented it – but just five years ago Theo used it to break the curse.

4. YX - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Hopefully his future ESPN endeavor goes smoother than the last one.

5. MAS - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I have been a Yankee fan for 40 years but I still loved watching Nomar play. He made some stupid business decisions but as a player with the Sox, he was quality. Next to A-Rod and Jeter, he was the best. LOL

6. Alex - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I’m with ya, Gator. Nomar really was something before the wrist injury. I found it interesting how Sox fans treated him – he went from golden boy to millstone to punchline to item of naustalgia in the span of 5 years.

7. YX - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM

It’s funny that Theo totally ripped UZR a couple days ago on radio regarding Ellsbury. He is so over Uzr and all about Carmine now.

8. Dan in Katonah - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I didn’t get a chance to see it. Did Nomar spend 2 minutes adjusting his watch, shirt, the mic, etc. before he spoke?

9. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Doug Mientkja;krghtja;kolgh….
    It’s an ugly thing to see someone you used to respect demean himself by trying to cheat at Scrabble.
    Replying to comment from Dan in Katonah: yes, but with supreme elegance.

10. Josh in DC - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I really liked watching him play.

11. Jonny5 - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Have you ever just looked at a person and disliked them for no apparent reason? Nomar is that guy for me. He looks like a no good mutha…… He’s probably ok though…..

12. BC - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM

“The tank is empty”.
    Does he mean, the SYRINGE is empty??!? Go home you juicer, go crank out kids with Mia.

13. Ken - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Do you mean all of my Nomar rookie cards are not worth anything?!?

14. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Let’s face it, he could definitely do worse.

15. Barbara Adams - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM

ALWAYS A CLASS ACT. ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES, ALONG WITH CARL Y, CARLTON FISK, OF COURSE THE GREAT TED WILLIAMS..FOS

16. YANKEES1996 - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Obviously, I am not a Red Sox fan but I am a baseball fan and I always enjoyed watching Nomar play. I think it was terrible the way the Red Sox treated him and I am surprised he retired a Red Sox, the fans must really have loved the guy. Good luck Nomar.

17. Jonny5 - Mar 10, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Thank you Barb. I’d rather be wrong.

18. Nomore Nomar - Mar 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

He should have retired with Jim Hendry and the Cubs.
    They’re the one that gave him tens of millions to be on the DL for two years…

19. MK - Mar 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM

What’s with the revisionist history? Red Sox fans treated Nomar extremely badly toward the end of his time in Boston and afterwards.
    I remember it really coming to a head after the game against the Yankees where Jeter dove into the stands and, in contrast, Nomar stood apart from his teammates looking rather apathetic. That brought on all sorts of pretty harsh commentary from the press and fans until Theo shipped him out later that month.
    And now he’s a returning hero? What?

20. Dodger Blue - Mar 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM

When Nomar came to my Dodgers, at first I was a little hesitant but he still had enough skills(aside from all the injuries)to earn his dough.You have to remember, when you mentioned Jeter,ARod,you also mentioned Nomar.It was Jeter ARod and Garciaparra…

21. Nick Geerz - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM

PLEASE THis guy goes back to the suxs after they kicked him out of town ..how many rings u got homomah ?0 ? You wish you could of been a tenth of a baseball player as any champion in pinstripes… Nomar blows youk…
    BABBA BOOEY BABBA BOOEY

22. Aries - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Actually, Nomar has one ring from the 2004 World Series. Everyone who played on the team that year (and them some) received rings. Also, it’s a shame you’re so stuck on the pinstripes that you can’t appreciate a player from any other team. I’ve been a Sox fan from birth, and I still repsect Derek Jeter and enjoy watching him play.

23. Oldschool - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Ahhh, how touching, Nomore wanted to retire as a loser, so the first team he thought of to make his dream come true, the Baaston Redsux. The isn’t another Professional team on the face of Earth with exception of the Cubbies, that is known as a proverbial loser as the Redsux. Now, I know what you Redsux fans are going to say, but, as far as I’m concerned, your loveable losers, the Redsux couldn’t have won they’re most recent Series, without the cheating that they did. Your damn near whole team was on steroids,(this was condoned and encouraged by Mr Short Arms and deep pockets John Henry, the boy wonder theo and Frangomer) especially Big Sloppy, the Dunce Princess Manny, that punk that was afraid to take off his mask veri*unt, pukolis and the rest where all on the juice. At least Nomore can stand up tall, and say that he never cheated like his old team did!

24. realmenwearpinstripes - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM

GOOD POINT DOUCHE!! YEAH JETER IS THE DEFANITION OF A BALLPLAYER … TOO BAD MOST OF THE SUX ARE JERKS TO THE POOR LITTLE KIDS AT THAT MANURE INFESTED TRAINING CAMP OF THERES IN FT. MYERS.. AND FROM BEING A BASEBALL FAN I GO TO EVERY TEAMS TRAINING FACILITY .. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE PLAYERS ACT AS ARROGANT AS THE SUX DO.. NOT THAT THE YANKEES ACT EXTRA ORDINARY TO THERE FANS BUT FROM MY 15 YEARS OF GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE TOURING THEY ARE TRASH .. I EVEN SAT IN CENTERFIELD WITH WAKEFIELD AT A TEAM DINNER CATERED BY OUTBACK.. AND HE WAS A JERK TO THIS OLD COUPLE WHO PAID $500 FOR TWO SEATS ..HUH CLASSLESS = BOSTON REDSOX PLAYERS..
    REAL FANS OF BASEBALL = RED SOX AND YANKEES FANS wether we love it or hate it we recognize real sports and true fans

25. Nick GEERZ - Mar 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM

ok he has 1 .. guess what he still sux… he cant hold derek jeters jockstrap ..his wife is more of an athlete then he is .. sad

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3793)