Mar 10, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
When the Nationals signed Ivan Rodriguez to a two-year, $6 million deal I wondered, among other things, why they were paying so much for another catcher when they already had 25-year-old Jesus Flores atop the depth chart.
At the time Flores was recovering from shoulder surgery, but most reports had him being ready as soon as Opening Day. Fast forward three months and his status for all of 2010 appears to be in jeopardy. Flores became frustrated with his recovery after being unable to throw from 120 feet Monday and is headed to Alabama for a visit with Dr. James Andrews.
Rather than a typical examination, Flores is expected to spend 10 days with Andrews for “treatment and evaluation.” Jim Riggleman said this morning that Flores will begin the season on the disabled list regardless of what Andrews recommends, and as is the case any time a player sees baseball’s most famous doctor another surgery could be right around the corner.
Either way Rodriguez is now the Nationals’ unquestioned starting catcher and Wil Nieves is now his backup. I’m still not sure why they needed to give a two-year, $6 million deal to a 38-year-old catcher who hit .249/.280/.384 last season, but if the Nationals had serious doubts about Flores’ recovery all along their motivation for pursuing Rodriguez is certainly easier to understand.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)