Mar 10, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
When the Nationals signed Ivan Rodriguez to a two-year, $6 million deal I wondered, among other things, why they were paying so much for another catcher when they already had 25-year-old Jesus Flores atop the depth chart.
At the time Flores was recovering from shoulder surgery, but most reports had him being ready as soon as Opening Day. Fast forward three months and his status for all of 2010 appears to be in jeopardy. Flores became frustrated with his recovery after being unable to throw from 120 feet Monday and is headed to Alabama for a visit with Dr. James Andrews.
Rather than a typical examination, Flores is expected to spend 10 days with Andrews for “treatment and evaluation.” Jim Riggleman said this morning that Flores will begin the season on the disabled list regardless of what Andrews recommends, and as is the case any time a player sees baseball’s most famous doctor another surgery could be right around the corner.
Either way Rodriguez is now the Nationals’ unquestioned starting catcher and Wil Nieves is now his backup. I’m still not sure why they needed to give a two-year, $6 million deal to a 38-year-old catcher who hit .249/.280/.384 last season, but if the Nationals had serious doubts about Flores’ recovery all along their motivation for pursuing Rodriguez is certainly easier to understand.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 99
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 73
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (100)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)