Torii Hunter is angry

Mar 10, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT

Thumbnail image for hunter_torii_091015.jpgThe Los Angeles Times caught up with Torii Hunter today and got his comments about his outrageous comments in this morning’s USA Today.  Short version: Hunter is pissed off:

Hunter, who directs much of his charitable efforts to the
development of inner-city baseball, claimed his comments “were
distorted and taken out of context.”

“I’m not apologizing because I didn’t say anything like that,”
Hunter said before Wednesday’s exhibition game against Cincinnati. “I’m
[ticked] right now. I’m upset. And people wonder why athletes don’t
talk to the media that much. It’s stupid.

“That wasn’t even the main topic of the discussion. That was like a
piece of the conversation, .5% of 100%. The main topic was that there
are no scholarships for baseball. … It wasn’t a negative story. It
was a positive story. I try to get a lot of inner-city kids to play the
game. I’ve done the research. That’s why I have all the programs.”

I guess the real question is whether Hunter is mad because the quotes are not accurate or if the quotes are accurate but he is simply mad at how he was portrayed in the article.  I get this feeling we’ll be hearing more about this soon enough.

1. geraldo - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Cheaper to sign latin/overseas players? In America in our game and our draft their is alledgley a slotting system. Often times our American born players are told there is no negotiating you must accept slot. Was Ardolis Chapman told that. We give a 15 and a half million dollar bonus to our own in this country and in a matter of months nearly double it to a Cuban defector? The backfields are now full of very well off Latin and foreign players.

2. Tom D - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM

T Hunter wants more African Americans in baseball. How about financing an effort to get more whites in football and basketball? It goes BOTH WAYS and these minority players just want everything their way !

3. Mark - Mar 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I agree Derek. Tori is a solid citizen and his actions are far more relevant then what was written in the article. I guess some journalists are more interested in dropping bombs. Hunter is an advocate for inner city kids and works hard to afford them opportunities to play baseball. I would really like to know what he had to say about the scholarships. Much more so then what was printed.

4. Nasty Boy - Mar 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Every time some idiot gets caught with his foot in his mouth, it’s always the same lame excuse : “it was taken out of context” these jerk-offs need to come up with something better than that. Torii , you got caught, man up and admit it, you idiot.

5. yankeh8r - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM

marge is dead and she was a racist bitch!

6. Old Gator - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM

And that foul little dog of hers was no better. I would have thrown it to my pet Savannah monitor lizard.

7. Peter, Pan - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Sorry but who cares…Baseball is DYING…
    According to ESPN it’s only the Yankee / SOX that move the meter.
    College FB will be more popular than Baseball in 2 years.
    NO CAP BASEBALL WILL DIE!
    The Pittsburgh Pirates should charged with FRAUD!
    It’s a shame them ripping off the hard working people of Pittsburgh.

8. dp - Mar 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Well , that maybe true, which proves she had some good in her. What do you think of that Torii. ah hell, I was taken out of context.The point is the idiot said what he said, and now he doesn’t have the balls to cop to it. Man up dick head.

9. Nasty Boy - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Here’s another guy that needs a drug test. 30 years ago they said soccer would take over baseball as the national past time . One of the most boring games I’ve ever watched. Soccer is strictly European, and they can have it.The only thing that will hurt baseball is the owners greed, if their smart they’ll police themselves with the contracts. Remember, if they don’t offer the players the outrages contracts, the players won’t get them.

10. JBP - Mar 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Journalism does not sell if it’s not negative reporting. The media takes things out of context and blow it out of proportion and “yes”, they wonder why the atheletes does not like to talk to them.

11. JoeRunner - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Torii, look up the work ‘impostor’ in the dictionary. If you don’t know what the F it means, don’t use it!

12. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM

When you’re a person of color raised in a system based on white culture/supremacy, this is the type of mentality that you’re going to get. While I do think Mr.Hunter is a “good” guy, he did put h is foot in his mouth. Without a doubt, Vlad, Big Poppi, and many other so-called “Latin” players are “Black”. The only Black impostor I see these days is Michael Steele(LOL). Quick history lesson to all of my Black American people; the fewest amount of Africans TAKEN from Africa came to the United States. The greatest concentration of Africans outside the African Continent is in Brazil. They have roughly 66 million to the US’s approximately 40 million. All of us need to re-educate ourselves!!! It’s called DIVIDE & CONQUER!!!

13. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM

14. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Oh, by the way, to a few of the people that made comments about a few closed minded people that they knew from the south. I’m from the south(Georgia), so what does that mean? Ignorance is prevalent EVERYWHERE, not just the south. In the words of Mr. Curtis Mayfield, “we got educated fools from un-educated schools”. Again we need to re-educate OURSELVES. As long as we let others define who & what we are, these types of situation will always occur.

15. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM

16. jackie boy - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Thank God we only have 40 mil; if we had many more we wouldn’t have enough prison’s to hold them.That statement was designed for racist Torii . Does that piss you off? think about your statement, and think of all the people you offended moron. P.S. you can lie all you want , but we all know you not only said it , but you meant it.

17. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM

To Jackie boy: “Thank God we only have 40 mil; if we had many more we wouldn’t have enough prison’s to hold them”–Do you not think that comment is racist/ignorant? What about what Mr. Hunter said was racist? I’m a 38 year old black man that has never been to prison and I know plenty of other Black people that have never seen the inside of a jail. What’s your point, Mr. I think I can say whatever I want to because I’m sitting at my computer desk. Most of the comments on this site by you people devoid of color, but in the tanning booth everyday, wouldn’t be said in the presence of Black people. Cowards!!! If you want to have a intelligent debate, let’s do that, but if you want to get ignorant, I can go there with the best of them and will always come out on top!!! Remember, you’re already the minority worlwide and are fast becoming the minority in this country. You might want to be making friends instead of enemies!!!

18. Bryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM

19. southsidemike - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Why dont reporters just record their interviews with people. Or better yet why don’t sports “stars” record their conversations for protection.
    One of them is wrong. Notice I didn’t say lying becasue I beleive they believe they either said something, or heard something a certain way
    A tape proves who is correct.

20. Wizard of Ozola - Mar 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM

we wouldn’t be having this conversation if Fredrick Douglass hadn’t talked Lincoln into allowing all the freed slaves after the Civil War to remain in America. Lincoln had originally planned to shipped them back to African countries of their birth.As seen on PBS’ Black History month. I doubt Tori Hunter knows that. But I say lets have Hines Ward ( a child of Korean and black partners), meet Tori in a UFC cage to settle the matter. By the way, my race has been in Palestine longer than the Arabs, so we got first dibs on it. I am not a white man, I am a Jew. I have my own race.The race of the children of God.And now that we have an basketball player from Israel in the NBA, we all gonna have to get along.Or the Jewish comissioner , David Stern gonna lockout and then all the hoes gonna be running for new sugar daddys. ! Just ask Shaq !

21. Michael - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I think it is disgraceful that comments like these are being overlooked, if a white person made these remarks he would not be defended and he would not have the chance to defend his remarks. America’s race policy seems to be based on a pro-black inequality. Hypocrisy that is not spoken out against is far more dangerous than the hypocrisy that is commonkly spoken out against. The simple lesson is : black racism forgiven and white racism over-punished

22. branden - Mar 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM

so, just because vlad isnt from america, he’s not allowed to be black? thats pretty racist torii.

23. juanpe - Mar 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I think that Hunter was wrong in calling dark skin latin players impostors. I think that what he was trying to say was: “Hey, people see a lot of players of dark skin and they think they are black americans, but they are not”.
    And the reason for this is that the draft system that is affecting not only african-american, white american but also Puerto Rican players. A few years ago there we are lot of Puerto Rican players in the major leagues. Their number have diminished considerably compared to dominicans and venezuelans. When that decline in Puerto Rican players started to occur? When Puerto Rican players had to enter the draft system of the major leagues. If a player is rejected in the draft he can not enter in the profesional baseball leagues of the U.S. Players from the other countries of Latin America and the rest of the world do not have that problem. An agent can sign any player from Dominicana or Venezuela without entering the draft and this player can start to develop in the minor leagues of the U.S. The same doesn’t happen to U.S. players (black or white) or Puerto Ricans. I think all players should enter the draft no matter the country where they come from. (Players from Canada also have to enter the draft)
    rohu50@yahoo.com

24. sirlaughsalot - Mar 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Boy this discussion is a veritable encyclopedia of social maladies.
    I’m an old man and for the love of the sport I still play at the local ball diamond. I play with men from every ethnicity and background . My heritage matters nothing to them as theirs matters nothing to me. We play for the love of the sport and we have that in common . If I do decide to be a spectator I go to a minor league or college game. ( they play with a lot more heart). To my mind combining the 2 words professional and baseball have ruined this sport for many. Guys kill the bigotry pick up your glove and go play some ball. You are missing all the fun. Oh and for you guys that are wondering just what my ethnicity is, trot your little tail down to your local ball field and jump into any impromptu game or practice. You will find me there.
    PLAY BALL

25. Kgirl - Mar 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Sirlaughsalot-
    THANK YOU. It was very disheartening to read all the other back and forth prejudice and racism, then to read your comment about the ACTUAL SPORT was refreshing.
    I’m with you- get out and play and forget about dollars and cents and color of skin.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win