Mar 10, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
Earlier this week the Cubs were said to be interested in Jason Frasor, and now the Twins have reportedly joined the mix for the Blue Jays’ reliever following news that Joe Nathan likely needs season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Frasor is a solid reliever coming off a career-year, but prior to posting a 2.50 ERA in 2009 he had ERAs of 4.32, 4.58, and 4.18 in the previous three seasons and his career xFIP is 4.05. He’s been talked about as a potential replacement for Nathan because he spent part of last season closing for Toronto, but based on ability rather than save totals he’s really more a setup man and the Twins have plenty of similar in-house options already.
Frasor is an impending free agent and affordable at just $2.65 million, so if the Blue Jays aren’t looking for much in return he’d be a solid addition for the Cubs or Twins. However, because he’s likely to qualify as a Type B free agent and could even jump into Type A status with a good 2010 the Blue Jays may be inclined to ask for at least as much value as a supplemental draft pick.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)