Mar 10, 2010, 11:40 AM EST
Earlier this week the Cubs were said to be interested in Jason Frasor, and now the Twins have reportedly joined the mix for the Blue Jays’ reliever following news that Joe Nathan likely needs season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Frasor is a solid reliever coming off a career-year, but prior to posting a 2.50 ERA in 2009 he had ERAs of 4.32, 4.58, and 4.18 in the previous three seasons and his career xFIP is 4.05. He’s been talked about as a potential replacement for Nathan because he spent part of last season closing for Toronto, but based on ability rather than save totals he’s really more a setup man and the Twins have plenty of similar in-house options already.
Frasor is an impending free agent and affordable at just $2.65 million, so if the Blue Jays aren’t looking for much in return he’d be a solid addition for the Cubs or Twins. However, because he’s likely to qualify as a Type B free agent and could even jump into Type A status with a good 2010 the Blue Jays may be inclined to ask for at least as much value as a supplemental draft pick.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)