Mar 10, 2010, 9:22 PM EDT
Look away, Cubs fans. Manager Lou Piniella told the Chicago Tribune’s Paul Sullivan on Wednesday evening that he doesn’t think newly-signed outfielder Xavier Nady will be ready for regular duty until June.
It’s not a huge deal — Nady was brought in to serve as the club’s fourth outfielder, not to start — but any sign of a setback or prolonged recovery is reason for panic these days on the north side of Chicago. Nady, 31, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and is still limited to DHing in Cactus League games. Likewise, he’ll be limited to pinch-hitting duties (and possibly a few late-innings defensive substitutions) for the first few months of the regular season. If there’s an injury in the Cubs outfield, guys like Sam Fuld and Micah Hoffpauir will have to fill in.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)