Mar 10, 2010, 9:22 PM EST
Look away, Cubs fans. Manager Lou Piniella told the Chicago Tribune’s Paul Sullivan on Wednesday evening that he doesn’t think newly-signed outfielder Xavier Nady will be ready for regular duty until June.
It’s not a huge deal — Nady was brought in to serve as the club’s fourth outfielder, not to start — but any sign of a setback or prolonged recovery is reason for panic these days on the north side of Chicago. Nady, 31, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and is still limited to DHing in Cactus League games. Likewise, he’ll be limited to pinch-hitting duties (and possibly a few late-innings defensive substitutions) for the first few months of the regular season. If there’s an injury in the Cubs outfield, guys like Sam Fuld and Micah Hoffpauir will have to fill in.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)