Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations was arrested for DUI on Monday night. No blood alcohol level was available because Newman refused to blow the breathalyzer. Which is a pretty interesting area of the law if anyone cares about such things, but I’ll leave that for another day.
You’ll recall — or not — that the Yankees had another executive get a DUI a few years back. It was Steve Swindal, who was (a) married to George Steinbrenner’s daughter; and (b) was considered to be The Boss’ successor at the helm of the S.S. Yankee once he stepped down. That didn’t happen, obviously. Whether the DUI itself or his falling out and subsequent divorce from the young Miss Steinbrenner had more to do with that is unknown, but most things in a person’s life are connected in some way.
No idea what this means for Newman, who has been with the Yankees for many, many years and has spent most of his time in player development. Given that, in my own personal opinion, drunk driving is one of the more irresponsible things a person can do in this world, my hope is that they throw the book, some metal pipes, some CC Sabathia fastballs, a few ninja stars, and an angry badger at him.
Should he be convicted, of course.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)