Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations was arrested for DUI on Monday night. No blood alcohol level was available because Newman refused to blow the breathalyzer. Which is a pretty interesting area of the law if anyone cares about such things, but I’ll leave that for another day.
You’ll recall — or not — that the Yankees had another executive get a DUI a few years back. It was Steve Swindal, who was (a) married to George Steinbrenner’s daughter; and (b) was considered to be The Boss’ successor at the helm of the S.S. Yankee once he stepped down. That didn’t happen, obviously. Whether the DUI itself or his falling out and subsequent divorce from the young Miss Steinbrenner had more to do with that is unknown, but most things in a person’s life are connected in some way.
No idea what this means for Newman, who has been with the Yankees for many, many years and has spent most of his time in player development. Given that, in my own personal opinion, drunk driving is one of the more irresponsible things a person can do in this world, my hope is that they throw the book, some metal pipes, some CC Sabathia fastballs, a few ninja stars, and an angry badger at him.
Should he be convicted, of course.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)