Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations was arrested for DUI on Monday night. No blood alcohol level was available because Newman refused to blow the breathalyzer. Which is a pretty interesting area of the law if anyone cares about such things, but I’ll leave that for another day.
You’ll recall — or not — that the Yankees had another executive get a DUI a few years back. It was Steve Swindal, who was (a) married to George Steinbrenner’s daughter; and (b) was considered to be The Boss’ successor at the helm of the S.S. Yankee once he stepped down. That didn’t happen, obviously. Whether the DUI itself or his falling out and subsequent divorce from the young Miss Steinbrenner had more to do with that is unknown, but most things in a person’s life are connected in some way.
No idea what this means for Newman, who has been with the Yankees for many, many years and has spent most of his time in player development. Given that, in my own personal opinion, drunk driving is one of the more irresponsible things a person can do in this world, my hope is that they throw the book, some metal pipes, some CC Sabathia fastballs, a few ninja stars, and an angry badger at him.
Should he be convicted, of course.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40