Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations was arrested for DUI on Monday night. No blood alcohol level was available because Newman refused to blow the breathalyzer. Which is a pretty interesting area of the law if anyone cares about such things, but I’ll leave that for another day.
You’ll recall — or not — that the Yankees had another executive get a DUI a few years back. It was Steve Swindal, who was (a) married to George Steinbrenner’s daughter; and (b) was considered to be The Boss’ successor at the helm of the S.S. Yankee once he stepped down. That didn’t happen, obviously. Whether the DUI itself or his falling out and subsequent divorce from the young Miss Steinbrenner had more to do with that is unknown, but most things in a person’s life are connected in some way.
No idea what this means for Newman, who has been with the Yankees for many, many years and has spent most of his time in player development. Given that, in my own personal opinion, drunk driving is one of the more irresponsible things a person can do in this world, my hope is that they throw the book, some metal pipes, some CC Sabathia fastballs, a few ninja stars, and an angry badger at him.
Should he be convicted, of course.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 32
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 31
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)