Mar 10, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Mark Newman, the Yankees’ senior vice president of baseball operations was arrested for DUI on Monday night. No blood alcohol level was available because Newman refused to blow the breathalyzer. Which is a pretty interesting area of the law if anyone cares about such things, but I’ll leave that for another day.
You’ll recall — or not — that the Yankees had another executive get a DUI a few years back. It was Steve Swindal, who was (a) married to George Steinbrenner’s daughter; and (b) was considered to be The Boss’ successor at the helm of the S.S. Yankee once he stepped down. That didn’t happen, obviously. Whether the DUI itself or his falling out and subsequent divorce from the young Miss Steinbrenner had more to do with that is unknown, but most things in a person’s life are connected in some way.
No idea what this means for Newman, who has been with the Yankees for many, many years and has spent most of his time in player development. Given that, in my own personal opinion, drunk driving is one of the more irresponsible things a person can do in this world, my hope is that they throw the book, some metal pipes, some CC Sabathia fastballs, a few ninja stars, and an angry badger at him.
Should he be convicted, of course.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29