Jose Reyes told to rest 2-8 weeks and will begin season on disabled list

Mar 11, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT

General manager Omar Minaya and agent Peter Greenberg just announced that Jose Reyes will “refrain from athletic activity” for 2-8 weeks after follow-up tests showed that his thyroid levels rose again when he did controlled physical activity this week.
He’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list, and in addition to resting will be asked to make changes to his diet. According to a statement released by the team: “The doctors will monitor Jose’s thyroid levels through regular blood tests. Once Jose’s thyroid levels return to normal, he will be cleared to resume baseball activities.”
In other words, Reyes is now out indefinitely. Eight weeks of inactivity plus some time to get back into playing shape would put his return date around late May or early June, and while the eight weeks is the far end of the timetable given this afternoon it’s hard to really consider it the “worst-case scenario” considering how things have gone with the story so far.
I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Mets fans at this point. Alex Cora is the Opening Day shortstop, unless they rush another 20-year-old prospect to the majors, of course.

1. Old Gator - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Make that two nets under BC’s window, including the one to the basement. If he runs out of Nardil, he’s liable to do something desperate.
    We’re with you, BC. Maybe we can get an encounter group together to help you through these difficult times. And please use our hotline!

2. Alan Milnes - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:31 PM

So Reyes was full of it when he said he was fine – typical Mets!!

3. John Pileggi - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

April without Beltran and Reyes is a hole that may be tough to dig out from. Thyroid issues sometimes are indicative of other issues, or may be minor, but the Mets are right to just rest Reyes until they have a handle on this. He is a young man, and has a full life ahead of him. This is not about a hamstring injury.

4. Stone - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM

The Mets are really killing my fantasy baseball draft.

5. Dan in Katonah - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Each year it starts earlier and earlier with this guys.
    2006 – NLCS, Game 7, Beltran caught looking on Wainwright’s called strike curve ball that everyone in Shea absolutely knew without a doubt was coming. Soul-crushing defeat and the place felt like a morgue.
    2007 – Tom Glavine’s 1st inning implosion caps the historic September collapse. Not sure where that falls on the Bill Simmons level of losing scale. Seemed like the whole month was one long root canal.
    2008 – Another historic September collapse that starts just a bit sooner and felt inevitable after the collapse of ’07.
    2009 – Why wait for September when June is so much more temperate? And who would guess that a team dependent upon aging veterans and unreliable pitching would need some depth, not that it would matter in the end given the across-the-board breakdowns.
    2010 – Why wait for June when we can just curl up and die in Spring Training.
    Just shoot me now.

6. Ryan - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Wow. Just wow. I made an off-hand comment in an article a few weeks about how the new signs in the Mets clubhouse was stupid and that if the players had injury problems this year, then they should put the signs up.

foot. enter. mouth.

7. Bill, Staten Island - Mar 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM

This about says it perfectly.
    I am not one to believe in jinx’s but the sorts of a things they have been going through can’t just be the result of inept management.
    Can’t be.

8. Mike - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I’m a Mets fan, but I’m not an emo when it comes to my team. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
    2008 wasn’t a “historic” collapse, the Mets had a 3 game lead going into September. That’s nothing to overtake.

9. Dan in Katonah - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Wrong. They had a 5.5 game lead on August 30th. They had a 4 game lead as late as September 10th and then in a matter of 5 days they were tied with the Phillies. If I recall correctly, BP had them in the 90′s with regard to % likelihood of making the post-season. As I said in my post, it was a historic collapse, just a bit earlier, although they were again eliminated on the last day of the season.

10. willmose - Mar 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

When the Mets get healthy they will be awesome! When I win the lottery I’ll be rich!

11. Jack Meoffer - Mar 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I feel bad for Reyes, but it makes me happy I am no longer the rabid fan I was 20 years ago. This would of made me really mad knowing the Mets will probably suck again. But when I finally realized (after a few strikes and bad Mets trades) that there was more to life than being a baseball fan, I moved on. Hope he gets better because in the end it’s only a business and a game. Life goes on without it. The sun will always rise without your favorite team winning.

12. Big Harold - Mar 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM

“… can’t just be the result of inept management.”
    Sure it can. Don’t underestimate the power of stupid.

13. Big Harold - Mar 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM

As a Yankee fan I can’t say that I’m not taking some pleasure out of the Mets most recent injury issues with Beltran and Reyes. But, if this keeps up like last year there is no sport in it because they again will not be competitive. Before last season was over giving Met fans a hard time wasn’t even shooting fsh in a barrel, .. it was shooting dead fish in a barrel.
    Looks like this year is shaping up the same way.

14. eaglealan64 - Mar 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM

According to the New York Post Reyes was told to rest whilst waiting for the results but exercised and aggravated the condition, this coupled with his statement that he was fine makes me wonder: Is he stupid or did the Mets and / or the Doctors not clearly inform him of the situation? It’s the Mets so I lean towards the latter ….

15. enough already - Mar 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I’m with you on that one. With the problems in the bullpen, they never had a solid hold on the division.

16. judyj - Mar 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I spent so many years as a Mets fan until I realized – I must have been drunk and didn’t know it. I started with their first game and stayed a loyal fan up until the final game of the 2000 World Series. I was heart-broken until I realized that I was more embarrass4ed than anything else. Then I reassessed and realized I was watching more Yankee games than Mets’ games. And then I had a vision – me wearing Yankee blue and going to Yankee Stadium instead of Shea. My brother has been a Yankee fan since his birth and he told me it was never too late. My mentor said the same thing. So, now I no longer give a crap what the Mets do and if I do notice – it reminds me of the days when I used to care that the Mets were never recognized for their accomplishments. I spend my days happy to watch a baseball game knowing that my team has done all it could to put a good product on the field for my enjoyment – and I don’t care what they spend on players, what they put in their pockets. I love baseball and now I finally have a team I can count on. GO YANKEES – 2009 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet