Mar 11, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
General manager Omar Minaya and agent Peter Greenberg just announced that Jose Reyes will “refrain from athletic activity” for 2-8 weeks after follow-up tests showed that his thyroid levels rose again when he did controlled physical activity this week.
He’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list, and in addition to resting will be asked to make changes to his diet. According to a statement released by the team: “The doctors will monitor Jose’s thyroid levels through regular blood tests. Once Jose’s thyroid levels return to normal, he will be cleared to resume baseball activities.”
In other words, Reyes is now out indefinitely. Eight weeks of inactivity plus some time to get back into playing shape would put his return date around late May or early June, and while the eight weeks is the far end of the timetable given this afternoon it’s hard to really consider it the “worst-case scenario” considering how things have gone with the story so far.
I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Mets fans at this point. Alex Cora is the Opening Day shortstop, unless they rush another 20-year-old prospect to the majors, of course.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 75
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)