Mar 11, 2010, 1:18 PM EST
General manager Omar Minaya and agent Peter Greenberg just announced that Jose Reyes will “refrain from athletic activity” for 2-8 weeks after follow-up tests showed that his thyroid levels rose again when he did controlled physical activity this week.
He’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list, and in addition to resting will be asked to make changes to his diet. According to a statement released by the team: “The doctors will monitor Jose’s thyroid levels through regular blood tests. Once Jose’s thyroid levels return to normal, he will be cleared to resume baseball activities.”
In other words, Reyes is now out indefinitely. Eight weeks of inactivity plus some time to get back into playing shape would put his return date around late May or early June, and while the eight weeks is the far end of the timetable given this afternoon it’s hard to really consider it the “worst-case scenario” considering how things have gone with the story so far.
I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Mets fans at this point. Alex Cora is the Opening Day shortstop, unless they rush another 20-year-old prospect to the majors, of course.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)