Mar 11, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
General manager Omar Minaya and agent Peter Greenberg just announced that Jose Reyes will “refrain from athletic activity” for 2-8 weeks after follow-up tests showed that his thyroid levels rose again when he did controlled physical activity this week.
He’s expected to begin the season on the disabled list, and in addition to resting will be asked to make changes to his diet. According to a statement released by the team: “The doctors will monitor Jose’s thyroid levels through regular blood tests. Once Jose’s thyroid levels return to normal, he will be cleared to resume baseball activities.”
In other words, Reyes is now out indefinitely. Eight weeks of inactivity plus some time to get back into playing shape would put his return date around late May or early June, and while the eight weeks is the far end of the timetable given this afternoon it’s hard to really consider it the “worst-case scenario” considering how things have gone with the story so far.
I’m almost starting to feel sorry for Mets fans at this point. Alex Cora is the Opening Day shortstop, unless they rush another 20-year-old prospect to the majors, of course.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 40
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)