Mar 11, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Mike Lowell was initially hoping to make his spring training debut tomorrow, but now it sounds like he won’t play until Monday at the earliest. Here’s manager Terry Francona:
We’re probably shooting more for Monday with Mikey Lowell. That’s probably a realistic target. I don’t know if it will happen.
Normally teams have every reason to be very cautious with injured players early in camp, but in the Red Sox’s case they probably want Lowell in the lineup as soon as possible to showcase him for a potential trade.
Boston had a deal worked out to send Lowell and $9 million to Texas for Max Ramirez, but the trade was nixed because of thumb surgery. If his thumb and hip look healthy and Lowell shows decent mobility at third base they should be able to find a taker for him again, although the Rangers are seemingly out of the mix after signing Vladimir Guerrero.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)