Mar 11, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Mike Lowell was initially hoping to make his spring training debut tomorrow, but now it sounds like he won’t play until Monday at the earliest. Here’s manager Terry Francona:
We’re probably shooting more for Monday with Mikey Lowell. That’s probably a realistic target. I don’t know if it will happen.
Normally teams have every reason to be very cautious with injured players early in camp, but in the Red Sox’s case they probably want Lowell in the lineup as soon as possible to showcase him for a potential trade.
Boston had a deal worked out to send Lowell and $9 million to Texas for Max Ramirez, but the trade was nixed because of thumb surgery. If his thumb and hip look healthy and Lowell shows decent mobility at third base they should be able to find a taker for him again, although the Rangers are seemingly out of the mix after signing Vladimir Guerrero.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)