Mar 11, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Showing yet again that they’ve never met a prospect they won’t rush, the Mets have reportedly decided to keep Jenrry Mejia in big-league camp through the end of spring training to evaluate him as an Opening Day bullpen option.
Mejia is one of the game’s best pitching prospects and has looked great so far this spring, but he’s just 20 years old and his only action above Single-A was going 0-5 with a 4.47 ERA in 10 starts at Double-A last season. Of course, most organizations would never have pushed him to Double-A as a teenager to begin with, so the Mets got the overly aggressive ball rolling last season and now it’s just building up speed.
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News notes that if Mejia doesn’t claim an Opening Day bullpen spot “he’s not going to be stretched out enough to immediately contribute in the [Double-A] Binghamton rotation” because “Jerry Manuel is determined to begin using Mejia in short and frequent relief spurts, to gauge how he reacts to pitching in that capacity.”
So instead of letting him develop normally and gradually as a starting pitcher, like just about any other team would with a young prospect of Mejia’s caliber, the Mets first rocketed him through the minors and are now considering limiting him to brief outings because they need short-term relief help. Mets fans sometimes accuse Hardball Talk of picking on them too much, but I’m starting to think maybe it’s actually not enough.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)