Mar 11, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
Milton Bradley has made headlines lately for basically refusing to stop talking about how miserable he was in Chicago, but did have some nice words for one member of the Cubs:
I have nothing bad to say about Jim Hendry. He gave me $30 million. God bless Jim Hendry and his family.
Most of the stuff Bradley says makes me roll my eyes and Cubs fans obviously have a much harsher reaction, but he has a point here. Bradley’s abrasive personality and various other issues shouldn’t have surprised anyone last year because he’d already worn out his welcome with six other teams in nine seasons, yet Cubs general manager Jim Hendry still handed him a $30 million deal.
Fans, media members, former teammates, and ex-coaches have been ripping Bradley to shreds, and rightfully so in most cases, but lost in all that is the big-league GM who gave $30 million to an emotionally unstable, oft-injured outfielder with a lengthy track record of issues and incidents. Bradley was being Bradley, but in theory at least Hendry should have known better.
If you pay $500 for tickets to a Britney Spears concert and she spends two hours lip-syncing terrible songs while prancing around in outfits that no longer fit you can certainly boo her off the stage and then complain for the entire car ride home, but ultimately what did you expect when you paid $500 for tickets to a Britney Spears concert. Hendry knowingly paid $30 million for the Milton Bradley experience and the Cubs certainly got it.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)