So how's that 5th starter competition going?

Mar 11, 2010, 10:45 AM EST

Joba NYP cover.jpgUm, yeah.  Something tells me that Hughes has the inside track.  And even if he doesn’t, Girardi may go with Dave LaPoint or Andy Hawkins or someone.

1. Simon DelMonte - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I happened to pick up both tabloids this morning while getting a shoeshine. (Yes, really. It’s a New York ritual for lazy men). I put both of them back down pretty fast. You would think that Joba had just lost Game Seven while cheating on his wife and driving a Toyota.
    Craig, you have spoiled me. Your approach to sportswriting puts the shrill noisemakers of the Post and Daily News to utter shame. Even when I disagree with you (which will be often since I’m a Mets fan), I feel like you use your brain first and your outrage last.

2. Harry G - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Just another day in the sensationalizing NY media…. Someone tell the DN that it’s spring training. Ugh.

3. BC - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Bring back Hipolito Pena!!!
    Seriously, when the —- are the Yankees going to wise up and make Joba the 8th inning guy until Mo retires, then make him the closer? Hughes is a starter. Chamberlain is only effective when he comes in all revved up and throws the —- out of the ball for 1 or 2 innings. He can’t pace himself. Wise up, guys!
    Signed, A Mets Fan and Girardi Hater

4. Old Gator - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

It’s been a long time since the Daily News was sufficiently right wingnut that you would expect the idiots to split their infinitives and misspell everything.
    That’s R-u-t-t, with two t’s, you illiterate oafs.

5. YankeesfanLen - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Never was a David Wells fan, can’t be a Big Toad fan.
    Hughes has the inside track by a mile, Mitre thrown in once in a while.
    Where was Johnny Damon yesterday? Oh, injured. Oh, alright I did want him back.

6. Dave - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Its going to be funny when all the Yankee fans get their way with Joba, and then they’ll get to complain all year long as Hughes’ innings and starts are limited.

7. Eli - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Fear not, there are still some actual newspapers left where people do actual, you know, reporting. Like talking to Girardi and getting facts. Like posting full audio of interviews with players. Seriously, if you want something other than rehashed hysteria, try the guys over at the Journal News. Best Yankees beat blog out there (thank you Pete, Sam, and Chad for helping me stay a bit more sane).

8. Old Gator - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The Big Toad? Is that really what they call him up there, or is that one of your own imaginative mental excrescences? I mean, great if it is – I’m surely not one to complain about things like that. Wonderful either way. But I do have a reason for asking.

9. Charles Gates - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I don’t know if it’s a mis-quote, or an adaptation. George Steinbrenner was quoted calling Hideki Irabu a ‘Fat Toad’ based on his build, and well, it just sort of fit
    Lumping Joba in with Irabu seems a bit rich though, even for NY’ers.

10. JudyJ - Mar 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Len, the Post had one of the funniest back page headlines last week. On the day Nick Johnson was first out with an injury, there was a photo of Johnny Damon, bat on shoulder with a caption that said “Miss Me Yet”? Couldn’t help but laugh.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3227)
  2. J. Kang (3080)
  3. C. McGehee (2803)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2774)
  5. J. Upton (2761)