The Daily News is trying to link Reyes' thyroid problem to HGH

Mar 11, 2010, 9:30 AM EST

The Daily News and its “I-Team” are usually the first ones to hurl PED accusations at ballplayers. The latest: suggesting a link between Jose Reyes’ thyroid condition and his treatment by Dr. Anthony Galea:

Anti-doping experts have long wondered whether abnormal levels of
thyroid hormones can indicate doping. At least one clinical study has
linked HGH injections to fluctuations in thyroid hormones, and it’s
clear that the thyroid hormones T3 and T4 have become popular among
bodybuilders – often a reliable indicator of what doping methods are on
the horizon for pro sports . . .

. . . New scrutiny of thyroid hormones and their interaction with HGH has come amid the confusing reports on the health status of Mets shortstop Jose Reyes,
who either has an overactive thyroid (as the Mets claim) or is
perfectly fine (as Reyes himself claimed on Tuesday). Reyes underwent a
round of diagnostic tests Tuesday in New York. More tests are
forthcoming, and doctors are likely to examine records of blood tests
Reyes has undergone earlier in his career.

And while those efforts may reveal Reyes has a natural illness, they
also come on the heels of his admission that he received treatments
from Anthony Galea, a Toronto doctor who has been charged in Canada
with several drug offenses and is under investigation in the U.S. for
conspiring to smuggle drugs, including HGH, across the border.

Other things that can cause thyroid problems, but for which the Daily News does not have an “I-Team”: exposure to radiation, an iodine deficiency, a overconsumption of brussels
sprouts, broccoli, rutabaga, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, or
cauliflower (seriously); heredity; fluroide exposure and any number of
other things.

Look, I don’t know if Jose Reyes has ever taken HGH. But then again, neither does the Daily News, and in the absence of any actual, you know, evidence, this story is nothing more than rank speculation.

1. Dan in Katonah - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I heard the same b.s. speculation by Steve Somers on WFAN when the whole thyroid issue first came out and thought it was totally irresponsible to try to make that connection without any supporting facts or medical basis. It was very disappointing since I have some respect for him as a broadcaster. I expect it from the News and the Post. Sensationalism at its worst to sell some papers or increase ratings.

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM

exposure to radiation

So you are saying that Jose Reyes is the Hulk in disguise? That’d be AWESOME

3. madhatters - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I think it’s plenty fair to bring up the point. I mean it’s all circumstantial evidence but still is evidence.
    But I don’t buy it. Afterall isn’t Reyes the spokesmen for the Rutabaga Farmers of America?

4. Jonny5 - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I almost mentioned this possibility myself when the news broke. But due to my conscience and the fact people would be jumping down my throat, on top of the multitude of natural reasons a thyroid acts up, I declined. I personally know a few people with thyroid issues,and they don’t take HGH either. This is a good example of sensationalism by the media. Today most of the media seems to want to emulate the tabloid papers. The difference though, is some people still take their word as truth.

5. Alan - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM

… overconsumption of brussels sprouts, broccoli, rutabaga, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, or cauliflower
    That’s about half my vegetable intake since I joined a CSA. Jesus, I just made kohlrabi fries. Do I need to be tested?

6. YX - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Well, Reyers do have two circumstantial evidence against him: ballplayers tends to end up in these situations; he did get his blood sprung by a doctor linked to HGH.
    Not saying it’s not BS, but not like TDN is accusing that lawyers with thyroid imbalance used HGH.

7. The Rabbit - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

As one who has a rather nasty autoimmune disease, I can tell you that it doesn’t take much for the thyroid under or overreact.
    An overactive thyroid can also be a symptom of a disease such as Graves. I’m reasonably certain that Barbara Bush did not abuse HGH.
    I am sick to death of moronic media news/opinion and the readers who blindly believe it…Beam me up Scotty!

8. BC - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Well, if he took HGH, it didn’t take.

9. enough already - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Just don’t tell Torii Hunter. It’ll become a thing. And you know how things go when the Hulk gets mad.

10. Evan - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Craig, if it were JUST a Thyroid condition (without a link to a known HGH peddler) then I would agree with you.
    The fact that Reyes has been connected to an HGH peddler and is purportedly suffering from a Thyroid condition that could be caused by HGH use (among other things), I find it to be a pretty strange coincidence.
    You would think that if a ballplayer was “clean” (ESPECIALLY in the current baseball PED climate) they would be smart enough to avoid shady doctors.
    I don’t mind if the Daily News reports this. If it takes scapegoating to clean up the sport, so be it. If Reyes hasn’t taken PEDs, he can come out and say it. If he wants to prove his innocense, he can show us his medical records concerning his association with Galea. He probably won’t do either of those things because he probably has something to hide.
    I know this. If I were a baseball player falsely accused of juicing, I would do everything possible to prove my innocence. My reputation, popularity, legacy and (potentially) future paydays would be in jeopardy. Funny how all these “victims of speculation/slander” haven’t been doing this. I wonder why.

11. Tom - Mar 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM

As a Mets fan, I’d like to see Jose get angry for once.

12. Dan in Katonah - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM

So he should prove his innocence? Like, if he floats, he’s a witch?
    Given the climate of PED’s in sports, I understand your readiness to believe the worst until shown otherwise, but a personal suspicion should not be reported as news. I just think that is irresponsible for the News, Post or whatever media agency to sensationalize the speculation. My goodness, what about the children?

13. Gobias Industries - Mar 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Craig, I know you didn’t just write an entire article on a Met without making any snarky comments about him. Or did you? It almost looks like you even defended him. You’ve changed, man.

14. Old Gator - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM

You mean like reporting that Jason Kendall abuses Adderall because his crank ex-wife says so in a child custody dispute?

15. JasonC23 - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM

So sick of these bloggers making wild, unfounded accusations about ballplayers and drug use. Hopefully Ken Rosenthal summarily and publicly flogs these yahoos like he did that other blogger last year.
    Wait, what?

16. Spice - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM

In sports today, and especially in baseball, you are guilty PERIOD.
    As it is almost impossible to prove you have not taken anything, you are therefore assumed to have taken something is A) your performance improves B) you have an unusual illness or injury C) you come in to camp in good condition.
    Muckrakers like the Daily News and NY Post need only say “linked to”, “Associated with” and BINGO, Editor heaven.

17. Alex K - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Everyone knows that it is A-Rod’s fault that Reyes has to deal with this!

18. Evan - Mar 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Dan,
    He doesn’t have to do anything. My point is that if he WANTS to prove his innocence, he probably can.
    Do you really understand my readiness to believe the worst when someone is accused? Are their falsely accused athletes lining up around the block? Has anyone signficant been falsely accused, vehemently denied it and then been proven innocent?
    My readiness to believe the worst stems from the fact that I can’t name a baseball player that has been accused/suspected of taking steroids and proven after the fact of being innocent. Further, virtually everyone who has denied/dismissed taking steroids has been caught (Bonds, Arod, Clemens, Palmiero, Ortiz, Manny).
    Can you really blame me for having a “readiness to believe the worst?”

19. af - Mar 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I don’t know from HGH. But I do know that everything I’ve read about Reyes’ testing and treatment is utterly consistent with what I encountered when I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid some 15 years ago. Following the initial test result, there was more elaborate blood testing of multiple thyroid hormones, antibodies, and markers of inflammation to help pinpoint exactly what’s wrong. Following that, I had a thyroid scan, to exclude cancer as a cause of my blood levels. Only after that was negative was I put on medication to suppress my thyroid. I assume that my doctor’s recommendation of medication was based on the overall clinical picture. Until the levels came down, I was under strict caution not to exert myself in any way, so as to avoid an elevated heart rate and blood pressure.

20. kpc - Mar 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM

“Among humans, gigantism is produced by an oversecretion of growth hormones by the acidophilic cells in the anterior lobe of the pituitary, causing excessive growth of all the tissues of the body. The metabolic rate is usually at least 20% above normal, which could be caused by an excess of the growth hormone alone, or oversecretion of the thyroid hormone in addition. Usually hyperglycemia (overactivity of the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas) is present”
    — from Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Edition; 10/1/2009