Mar 11, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
It’s a 1984 Detroit Tigers model, so I would be interested. Whose is it? Lance Parrish? Larry Herndon? [swoons, bats eyes] Alan Trammell?
How much would you pay for a piece of the Tigers’ 1984 World Series championship?
Would you pay $5,000?
That’s the asking price on eBay for the World Series ring of former Tigers’ infielder Doug Baker. As of Wednesday night, there were no bids on the ring, but the auction ends on Friday — so there’s time. If you have $5,000 to spend, that is.
Oh. Well. Reminds me of the time my dad bought my brother and I a few commemorative six packs of Coke because they had members of the ’84 Tigers on them. When Curt and I got a Doug Baker can we looked at each other and said “Doug Baker?” And I was an extremely dedicated fan for an 11 year-old.
But there’s an upside here. When I saw the headline I thought that someone from that team was in bad financial shape and thus had to pawn the thing that represents one of their life’s proudest moments simply to pay the rent. Turns out that it’s less dire than that: Baker had lost the ring once upon a time, got a replacement from whatever the MLB-equivalent of Jostens is, but then had his original ring returned to him. Dude only needs one, so he’s selling it.
I won’t be buying, but call me if Jack Morris gets hard up for dough.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (89)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)