Mar 11, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
It’s a 1984 Detroit Tigers model, so I would be interested. Whose is it? Lance Parrish? Larry Herndon? [swoons, bats eyes] Alan Trammell?
How much would you pay for a piece of the Tigers’ 1984 World Series championship?
Would you pay $5,000?
That’s the asking price on eBay for the World Series ring of former Tigers’ infielder Doug Baker. As of Wednesday night, there were no bids on the ring, but the auction ends on Friday — so there’s time. If you have $5,000 to spend, that is.
Oh. Well. Reminds me of the time my dad bought my brother and I a few commemorative six packs of Coke because they had members of the ’84 Tigers on them. When Curt and I got a Doug Baker can we looked at each other and said “Doug Baker?” And I was an extremely dedicated fan for an 11 year-old.
But there’s an upside here. When I saw the headline I thought that someone from that team was in bad financial shape and thus had to pawn the thing that represents one of their life’s proudest moments simply to pay the rent. Turns out that it’s less dire than that: Baker had lost the ring once upon a time, got a replacement from whatever the MLB-equivalent of Jostens is, but then had his original ring returned to him. Dude only needs one, so he’s selling it.
I won’t be buying, but call me if Jack Morris gets hard up for dough.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)