Mar 11, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
It’s a 1984 Detroit Tigers model, so I would be interested. Whose is it? Lance Parrish? Larry Herndon? [swoons, bats eyes] Alan Trammell?
How much would you pay for a piece of the Tigers’ 1984 World Series championship?
Would you pay $5,000?
That’s the asking price on eBay for the World Series ring of former Tigers’ infielder Doug Baker. As of Wednesday night, there were no bids on the ring, but the auction ends on Friday — so there’s time. If you have $5,000 to spend, that is.
Oh. Well. Reminds me of the time my dad bought my brother and I a few commemorative six packs of Coke because they had members of the ’84 Tigers on them. When Curt and I got a Doug Baker can we looked at each other and said “Doug Baker?” And I was an extremely dedicated fan for an 11 year-old.
But there’s an upside here. When I saw the headline I thought that someone from that team was in bad financial shape and thus had to pawn the thing that represents one of their life’s proudest moments simply to pay the rent. Turns out that it’s less dire than that: Baker had lost the ring once upon a time, got a replacement from whatever the MLB-equivalent of Jostens is, but then had his original ring returned to him. Dude only needs one, so he’s selling it.
I won’t be buying, but call me if Jack Morris gets hard up for dough.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)