Mar 11, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
It’s a 1984 Detroit Tigers model, so I would be interested. Whose is it? Lance Parrish? Larry Herndon? [swoons, bats eyes] Alan Trammell?
How much would you pay for a piece of the Tigers’ 1984 World Series championship?
Would you pay $5,000?
That’s the asking price on eBay for the World Series ring of former Tigers’ infielder Doug Baker. As of Wednesday night, there were no bids on the ring, but the auction ends on Friday — so there’s time. If you have $5,000 to spend, that is.
Oh. Well. Reminds me of the time my dad bought my brother and I a few commemorative six packs of Coke because they had members of the ’84 Tigers on them. When Curt and I got a Doug Baker can we looked at each other and said “Doug Baker?” And I was an extremely dedicated fan for an 11 year-old.
But there’s an upside here. When I saw the headline I thought that someone from that team was in bad financial shape and thus had to pawn the thing that represents one of their life’s proudest moments simply to pay the rent. Turns out that it’s less dire than that: Baker had lost the ring once upon a time, got a replacement from whatever the MLB-equivalent of Jostens is, but then had his original ring returned to him. Dude only needs one, so he’s selling it.
I won’t be buying, but call me if Jack Morris gets hard up for dough.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 5
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (178)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)