Mar 12, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
You may now update all of your old “David Wright looks funny in that big batting helmet” jokes to Francsico Cervelli, who will be donning one in New York this season after suffering his second concussion earlier this week:
Cervelli said he plans to wear the helmet at the plate all season, though he won’t wear it when catching or running the bases.
“To me it just makes sense,” said Girardi, who would make the new
helmets mandatory. “It you have something you’ve had to deal with, if
there’s some way to improve the protection or keep you maybe from being
injured again, it makes sense to use that device… It is much more
padded. It’s really unbelievable. You look at it and think ‘why don’t
more people wear it? Why doesn’t everyone wear it?'”
Yeah, on second thought, let’s just 86 the jokes, OK? Yes, the helmet looks odd, but we’re only just now starting to realize how serious concussions — especially second and third concussions — really are. Last night there were a lot of jokes among Yankees writers in the Twitterverse regarding Cervelli’s new headgear — and apparently he’s taking some mocking from his teammates too — but a guy’s health and career are no laughing matter.
If I was standing in against 95 mph heat, I’d wear a propeller hat, a mixing bowl or a church crown on my head if I thought it’d keep me safe.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)