Jason Kendall is throwing a lot of guys under the Adderall bus

Mar 12, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for kendall elbow.jpgJason Kendall sat for a deposition in his divorce case recently, and the subject of other players taking the ADD drug Adderall came up.  Kendall admitted to his own use — as much as 60 mg doses during the regular season, cutting back once the season was over — said that he believes Brian Giles used Adderall as well, and that he believed Bobby Crosby did too.

For what it’s worth, 60 mg is a heavy, heavy dosage of Addreall, nearly twice what you typically see for adults.  Many, many players use Adderall — at rates much higher than the drug is prescribed to the population at large — getting “therapeutic use” exemptions from Major League Baseball in order to take what would otherwise be a banned stimulant. Many anti-doping experts believe that the relatively large number of Adderall users in baseball is fishy.

But Kendall’s use and his shaky info on the use of others is not the most interesting part of his deposition. This is:

Kendall was also asked if he ever took “greenies” which is “a diet pill that was used in baseball.” Kendall’s lawyer instructed him not to
answer because of “his fifth amendment right against self
incrimination.” Kendall said “greenies” are banned in major league
baseball. Kendall was asked if he ever got “greenies” in Mexico and his
attorney said, “Mark McGuire didn’t answer it during the congressional
hearings. My client is not going to answer that during this particular
hearing.”

It’s been four months since I’ve taken anyone’s deposition so I may be getting rusty, but I don’t seem to recall the “Mark McGuire didn’t do it so my client doesn’t have to do it” instruction.  This testimony also indicates that Kendall either didn’t fill out the errata sheet when he got a chance to review the transcript or else he doesn’t know how to spell “McGwire.”

1. Dan in Katonah - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I now have a new favorite objection when defending deps.

2. Xpensive Wino - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Anything Kendall has taken is obviously a Performance Reducing Drug…….

3. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM

And that’s what a legitimate piece of news looks like for a change. Kendall really is a class-A asshole, isn’t he? As for his lawyer’s advice – well, precedent is precedent in our system, isn’t it? Where would case law be without it?
    Incidentally, speaking of Adderal1 and asshole, we should be grateful to have someone we can call an “asshole” after all. True, that never happened to Pablo Picasso – not in New York, at any rate. Adderall is generally prescribed for many of the same forms of behavior which, when manifesting in people, we once called them “asshole:” hyperactivity, reflexive hostility, an inability to focus or concentrate and a tendency to blame everyone else for their problems. I suspect that the widespread abuse of Adderall is largely to blame for the disappearance of assholes from every walk of life except, apparently, baseball, where a profound resistance to the drug seems to have taken hold, and especially from sports journalism, where no one seems to take the stuff.

4. Ryan - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Talk about a dude who should know when to take a hint on when he should retire.

5. Charles Gates - Mar 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Two take-a-ways:
    1: Advice I once heard; If you’re guilty, get a lawyer. If you’re innocent, get a lawyer faster. This seems to hold true here.
    2: Now that people are using McGwire for behavior modeling, I’m expecting a litany of comments about how this isn’t good for our children

6. Bear - Mar 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM

“And that’s what a legitimate piece of news looks like for a change.”
    This is just the latest development in a story you were bitching about a few days ago as being not fit for a baseball news outlet. I guess you figured out you can’t control the content, so you’re going with the flow now.

7. Guy Bissonnette - Mar 12, 2010 at 11:15 AM

How about spelling McGwire right please…Man…

8. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Not at all. My entire point is that now you have testimony given under oath in which Kendall implicates himself in PED abuse. Again, legitimate baseball news. That’s a far cry from a trashloid style blog leading with a title about an ugly private issue and consisting mostly of intrafamilial mudslinging in a legal arena renowned for ugly hyperbole. I can get that kind of slime from a National Enquirer cover at the supermarket checkout. Reread my original post. I’ll stick with what I said in both that one and this one.
    And in your case, it’s not officially spring. What are you doing walking around out here when the salmon haven’t even headed upstream yet?

9. ecp - Mar 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Why in heavens name would the subject of who else is taking Adderall come up in Kendall’s divorce hearing? Seems irrelevant to me. The only pertinent information to his divorce is the fact that HE takes Adderall.

10. Jamie - Mar 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Sometimes Jason Kendall tries to to pick up girls, and gets… divorced.

11. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Unless you heard it on the John Cale CD Sabotage, it’s good to know that I’m not the only Jonathan Richman fan left following the unexplained disaster that wiped out most intelligent life on Earth.
    Craig, if you’re still out there, do I have to add Jonathan Richman to your musical education syllabus?

12. Retep - Mar 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I’m in college, I’ve done a lot of drugs–including stimulants. I just want to say that 60 milligrams of Adderall is a TON. Granted, the body does adjust and build tolerance, but I’m not a small guy and have my experiences with lots of things. NOTHING gets me higher than a 30 milligram Adderall. I can’t imagine even surviving a 60 milligram dose of Adderall (I’m sure I would, but I’m only half joking).
    In terms of experience, Adderall is basically cocaine that lasts a lot longer minus the euphoria. Their chemical structures are very similar:
    Adderall – C18 H28 N2 O4 S
    Cocaine – C17 H21 N O4
    I’ve added spaces for readability purposes.
    I don’t have a problem with baseball players taking Adderall, so long as they know what they’re taking (what basically amounts to synthetic cocaine). But, I’m also the guy who doesn’t care if baseball players use steroids or black tar heroin, what adults put in their body is none of my business as I see it. Take my opinion on the matter for what it’s worth–not much.
    But, honestly, I don’t see how giving this to minors is a solution to a problem. And no matter how many scientific journals declare Adderall safe, we haven’t observed what happens to a generation with Adderall, and there’s no F’n way I’m letting my kid take synthetic cocaine, even if he can’t sit still in class to save his life.

13. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM

From where I sit, it looks to me that in molecular terms, you get more for your money with Adderall.

14. Professor Dave - Mar 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I’ve been pointing out this link to baseball people for awhile, but it’s not been picked up. It’s Talbot from the New Yorker on Adderall and related brain-enhancers at Ivy Leagues (and elsewhere):
    If you read it, you’ll see a lot of the same language surrounding brain PEDs as body PEDs in sports. The analogies are strong, and it has often made me think that the issues in sports are testing grounds, harbingers perhaps, of larger societal issues.

15. Old Gator - Mar 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Well, more like a feedback loop, I’d say. Substance abuse in the population at large was there first. A growing reluctance engage in the debate about victimless crime and private preferences in favor of looking away, and an intensifying emphasis on financial success as bellwether of human worth, fuel the issue in sports. The iconic dream of the monster payday as a result of excelling with the help of chemical enhancement worsens the problem in the general population – among secondary school and college atheletes in particular, ad infinitum.
    That said, as this Adderall issue illustrates, the separation between the proper use of a substance and its abuse is often a pretty gray zone. Unsaid so far is whether Kendall was ever actually diagnosed with ADHD, dyslexia or any of the conditions for which Adderall is prescribed.

16. Ray - Mar 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I do not find the number of athletes taking adderall fishy. Think about it. Us, as in “Us with ADD or ADHD” are very easily distracted from common routine practices. So we choose to participate in active, hands-on or creative endeavors. Therefore the number of athletes taking adderall, makes perfect sense. I also believe that ADHD and ADD are not “disorders”, but more along the lines of subtle gifts. I am an overachiever & its not because I couldn’t read with the rest of the class when I was 7. We focus on what we want to focus on & that’s about it. We have less tolerance to sitting back and observing. I hope that made good sense.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline