Mar 12, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
It was something we tried to do, and Major League Baseball was going to help us. All of a sudden the front-office people didn’t want to have me in the middle of stuff, and I have to respect that. It was a personal thing I was going to talk about baseball on. The White Sox weren’t comfortable with me doing it, they didn’t say no, but they weren’t comfortable. That’s why I backed off.
What a shame. General manager Ken Williams seems particularly annoyed by his manager’s interest in social media and certainly Guillen is prone to say just about anything, but so far he’s avoided any controversy on Twitter while still entertaining nearly as many people as the White Sox’s ballpark holds.
Here’s a sampling of his tweets from yesterday alone:
I hate the trafic I arizona aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
This is crazy I thought the gas cost a lot money to many car lord
I want a corona polar presidente now please this trafic lord
Big reazon to love my boat no trafic in the ocean
I want my cabo boat working hard to get my cabo 52 yessssssss
I wish I have my bike in this moment
I going to get my chevy help me suv ?
The wings vegasa yesssasa
Most of his tweets so far have been complaints about traffic, thoughts about the art of barbequing, and interesting ways to spell the word “yes.” In other words he’s basically just the average Twitter user, except with slightly better spelling and grammar.
My tweets aren’t nearly as interesting as Guillen’s, but you can find me on Twitter too. Yessssssss!
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)