Mar 13, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera will miss up to a week because of a strained left groin muscle.
Cabrera suffered the injury while diving back into third base on a pickoff throw during Friday’s game against the Angels. According to Hoynes, Cabrera is expected to be held out of all drills for the next two or three days.
Cabrera, 24, batted .308/.361/.438 with six homers, 68 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 81 runs scored for the Indians in ’09. As mentioned a few weeks ago, he is expected to bat leadoff for Manny Acta this season.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)