Mar 13, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera will miss up to a week because of a strained left groin muscle.
Cabrera suffered the injury while diving back into third base on a pickoff throw during Friday’s game against the Angels. According to Hoynes, Cabrera is expected to be held out of all drills for the next two or three days.
Cabrera, 24, batted .308/.361/.438 with six homers, 68 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 81 runs scored for the Indians in ’09. As mentioned a few weeks ago, he is expected to bat leadoff for Manny Acta this season.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)