Mar 13, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Yeah, that guy.
Kris Benson threw for Diamondbacks officials on Friday as the club explores ways to increase depth in their starting rotation. Multiple sources have told Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Brandon Webb will almost certainly start the season on the disabled list as he rehabs his surgically-repaired right shoulder.
So what better guy to sign than Benson, who hasn’t made 30 starts in a season since 2006? The former No. 1 pick opened last season in the Rangers’ starting rotation, but quickly hit the disabled list with elbow tendinitis. He posted an 8.46 ERA and 2.01 WHIP in eight appearances (two starts) and was off the club’s 40-man roster by June.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)