Mar 13, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Yeah, that guy.
Kris Benson threw for Diamondbacks officials on Friday as the club explores ways to increase depth in their starting rotation. Multiple sources have told Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Brandon Webb will almost certainly start the season on the disabled list as he rehabs his surgically-repaired right shoulder.
So what better guy to sign than Benson, who hasn’t made 30 starts in a season since 2006? The former No. 1 pick opened last season in the Rangers’ starting rotation, but quickly hit the disabled list with elbow tendinitis. He posted an 8.46 ERA and 2.01 WHIP in eight appearances (two starts) and was off the club’s 40-man roster by June.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)