Mar 13, 2010, 9:37 AM EST
Yeah, that guy.
Kris Benson threw for Diamondbacks officials on Friday as the club explores ways to increase depth in their starting rotation. Multiple sources have told Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that Brandon Webb will almost certainly start the season on the disabled list as he rehabs his surgically-repaired right shoulder.
So what better guy to sign than Benson, who hasn’t made 30 starts in a season since 2006? The former No. 1 pick opened last season in the Rangers’ starting rotation, but quickly hit the disabled list with elbow tendinitis. He posted an 8.46 ERA and 2.01 WHIP in eight appearances (two starts) and was off the club’s 40-man roster by June.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)