Dice-K releases statement about neck issue

Mar 13, 2010, 8:04 PM EST

matsuzaka posing.JPGDaisuke Matsuzaka would not talk to reporters about his neck discomfort Saturday, but he did issue a short statement through a team spokesperson.  Here it is, via the Boston Globe:

“I didn’t throw live BP today due to stiffness in my neck. As for my
schedule going forward, I’m going to see how I feel tomorrow, meet with
the coaching staff and decide at that point.”

The 29-year-old right-hander failed to complete a scheduled live batting practice session on Saturday due to neck stiffness and is almost certain to miss the start of the regular season.  It’s another disappointing setback for a guy in desperate need of a turn-around performance in 2010.  He made just 12 starts last season and finished with an ugly 4-6 record on top of an even uglier 5.76 ERA.  It’s not known when he will be ready to compete again, but chances are we won’t see him until late April or even May.

1. dp - Mar 14, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I just love it when they take a beating on a big money contract.If he never pitched again , it would be too soon.

2. Sean - Mar 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM

what kinda pussy doesnt come to the viewing party?? lol seth wanted me to say that, but it was from my heart too. no offense jerk ass!!!

3. jackie boy - Mar 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM

What a bum, they deserve each other.

4. Big Harold - Mar 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Just another indication of the Red Sox starting rotation’s prowess. I hope that “run prevention” things work out for them or it’s going to be a boring season. The Yank’s will go wire to wire and the Red Sox will be lucky to avoid 4th place. Go Gorilla Boy!!

5. Nasty Boy - Mar 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Harold, I couldn’t of said it better, or wished it on them more. I don’t know who I dislike more, that team or their fans.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5992)