Mar 13, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that second baseman Ian Kinsler will miss at least a week because of a high right ankle sprain. Kinsler was a late scratch from Friday’s lineup against the Padres after turning his ankle during pregame warm-ups.
Durrett reports that assistant general manager Thad Levine was surprised by the diagnosis since Kinsler said the ankle didn’t feel that bad.
Kinsler, 27, batted .253/.327/.488 with 31 homers, 86 RBI and 31 stolen bases last season. While he’s arguably the game’s best second baseman outside of Chase Utley, Kinsler has had stints on the disabled list in each of the past four seasons.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)