Mar 13, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bad news for one of the White Sox brightest prospects, as outfielder Jared Mitchell could miss the rest of the season with surgery for a torn ligament in his left ankle.
Mitchell injured the ankle during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Angels after crashing into the left field while making a spectacular catch. The 21-year-old was carted off the field and taken for X-rays.
Here’s Ozzie Guillen:
“It’s supposed to be about a year. We have to wait to see after surgery
happens. Hopefully, everything goes well. The more important thing after
that is the rehab, and hopefully, he’ll get back pretty quick. We’ll
see what happens.”
Mitchell was Chicago’s first-round pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. The LSU product batted .296/.417/.435 with zero homers, 10 RBI and five stolen bases in 115 at-bats for Single-A Kannapolis in his pro debut last season, but has drawn raves from scouts about his power-speed potential. He was recently ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America. Let’s hope it’s not a complete lost season for the youngster.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)