Mar 13, 2010, 8:50 AM EST
Bad news for one of the White Sox brightest prospects, as outfielder Jared Mitchell could miss the rest of the season with surgery for a torn ligament in his left ankle.
Mitchell injured the ankle during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Angels after crashing into the left field while making a spectacular catch. The 21-year-old was carted off the field and taken for X-rays.
Here’s Ozzie Guillen:
“It’s supposed to be about a year. We have to wait to see after surgery
happens. Hopefully, everything goes well. The more important thing after
that is the rehab, and hopefully, he’ll get back pretty quick. We’ll
see what happens.”
Mitchell was Chicago’s first-round pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. The LSU product batted .296/.417/.435 with zero homers, 10 RBI and five stolen bases in 115 at-bats for Single-A Kannapolis in his pro debut last season, but has drawn raves from scouts about his power-speed potential. He was recently ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America. Let’s hope it’s not a complete lost season for the youngster.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 127
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 234
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (234)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)