Mar 13, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bad news for one of the White Sox brightest prospects, as outfielder Jared Mitchell could miss the rest of the season with surgery for a torn ligament in his left ankle.
Mitchell injured the ankle during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Angels after crashing into the left field while making a spectacular catch. The 21-year-old was carted off the field and taken for X-rays.
Here’s Ozzie Guillen:
“It’s supposed to be about a year. We have to wait to see after surgery
happens. Hopefully, everything goes well. The more important thing after
that is the rehab, and hopefully, he’ll get back pretty quick. We’ll
see what happens.”
Mitchell was Chicago’s first-round pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. The LSU product batted .296/.417/.435 with zero homers, 10 RBI and five stolen bases in 115 at-bats for Single-A Kannapolis in his pro debut last season, but has drawn raves from scouts about his power-speed potential. He was recently ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America. Let’s hope it’s not a complete lost season for the youngster.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)