Mar 13, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Bad news for one of the White Sox brightest prospects, as outfielder Jared Mitchell could miss the rest of the season with surgery for a torn ligament in his left ankle.
Mitchell injured the ankle during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Angels after crashing into the left field while making a spectacular catch. The 21-year-old was carted off the field and taken for X-rays.
Here’s Ozzie Guillen:
“It’s supposed to be about a year. We have to wait to see after surgery
happens. Hopefully, everything goes well. The more important thing after
that is the rehab, and hopefully, he’ll get back pretty quick. We’ll
see what happens.”
Mitchell was Chicago’s first-round pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. The LSU product batted .296/.417/.435 with zero homers, 10 RBI and five stolen bases in 115 at-bats for Single-A Kannapolis in his pro debut last season, but has drawn raves from scouts about his power-speed potential. He was recently ranked as the organization’s No. 1 prospect by Baseball America. Let’s hope it’s not a complete lost season for the youngster.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)