Mar 14, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
Royals manager Trey Hillman told the Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton on Sunday that outfielder Rick Ankiel could require another week of recovery for his sore right ankle. There’s no reason to panic just yet, but Ankiel needs all the work he can get. The 30-year-old batted just .231 with a .285 on-base percentage last season and struck out 99 times in 372 at-bats. He inked a one-year, $3.25 million contract this winter and is expected to start in center field for the Royals in 2010.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12