Mar 14, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
A few Sunday afternoon minor injury updates from the sunny ball fields of Arizona and Florida…
- Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera has a strained left groin and is considered “day-to-day.” He was unavailable Saturday and again on Sunday, but it doesn’t sound like an overly serious issue.
- Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee has a bone bruise on the top of his left foot and is expected to miss the next several spring games. He will not be on the team bus when it heads to Tuscon, Arizona Monday for a game against the Rockies.
- Mike Gonzalez revealed to the media Sunday morning that he was pulled from Saturday’s spring game prematurely due to back soreness. The O’s closer is fine, though, and will only be out for a couple of days. The Baltimore Sun’s Peter Schmuck says that Gonzalez has looked sharp in bullpen sessions and is on track for the start of the regular season.
- Pirates infielder Ronny Cedeno left Sunday’s game against the Yankees after suffering a laceration on his right hand, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It was a bloody scene in south Florida, but it appears he avoided serious injury. Cedeno is trying to fend off Bobby Crosby this spring in a battle for the Pirates’ starting shortstop gig.
- Cardinals manager Tony La Russa acknowledged Sunday afternoon that utilityman Julio Lugo is likely to miss up to a week with a groin injury. Lugo collected three RBI on a home run and double in Saturday’s Grapefruit League victory over the Astros but was injured during his final at-bat.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)