Mar 14, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
A few Sunday afternoon minor injury updates from the sunny ball fields of Arizona and Florida…
- Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera has a strained left groin and is considered “day-to-day.” He was unavailable Saturday and again on Sunday, but it doesn’t sound like an overly serious issue.
- Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee has a bone bruise on the top of his left foot and is expected to miss the next several spring games. He will not be on the team bus when it heads to Tuscon, Arizona Monday for a game against the Rockies.
- Mike Gonzalez revealed to the media Sunday morning that he was pulled from Saturday’s spring game prematurely due to back soreness. The O’s closer is fine, though, and will only be out for a couple of days. The Baltimore Sun’s Peter Schmuck says that Gonzalez has looked sharp in bullpen sessions and is on track for the start of the regular season.
- Pirates infielder Ronny Cedeno left Sunday’s game against the Yankees after suffering a laceration on his right hand, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It was a bloody scene in south Florida, but it appears he avoided serious injury. Cedeno is trying to fend off Bobby Crosby this spring in a battle for the Pirates’ starting shortstop gig.
- Cardinals manager Tony La Russa acknowledged Sunday afternoon that utilityman Julio Lugo is likely to miss up to a week with a groin injury. Lugo collected three RBI on a home run and double in Saturday’s Grapefruit League victory over the Astros but was injured during his final at-bat.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 18
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)