Mar 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Wood told MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince on Sunday afternoon that he is already back on his normal spring schedule and will throw a bullpen session Monday followed by an appearance in Wednesday’s spring game. Sounds promising.
SATURDAY, 6:31pm: Enjoy spring training traditions? Here’s one for you:
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians closer Kerry Wood was scratched from a scheduled one-inning appearance Saturday due to right arm soreness. The Indians are calling it “spring-training soreness,” but that won’t stop the punch lines. Wood has a well-chronicled history of arm issues and seems to miss time ever year (or every spring) because of some kind of ailment.
24-year-old righty Chris Perez is already breathing down Wood’s neck for Cleveland’s ninth-inning role and the former Cubs starter has supposedly been on the trading block all spring. He had a 1.38 WHIP and a 63/28 K/BB ratio in 55 innings last season while tallying 20 saves in 26 chances. Perez, acquired last season from the Cardinals in a package for Mark DeRosa, had a 1.19 WHIP and a 68/27 K/BB ratio in 57 frames.
- Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 0
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (106)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)