Mar 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Wood told MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince on Sunday afternoon that he is already back on his normal spring schedule and will throw a bullpen session Monday followed by an appearance in Wednesday’s spring game. Sounds promising.
SATURDAY, 6:31pm: Enjoy spring training traditions? Here’s one for you:
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians closer Kerry Wood was scratched from a scheduled one-inning appearance Saturday due to right arm soreness. The Indians are calling it “spring-training soreness,” but that won’t stop the punch lines. Wood has a well-chronicled history of arm issues and seems to miss time ever year (or every spring) because of some kind of ailment.
24-year-old righty Chris Perez is already breathing down Wood’s neck for Cleveland’s ninth-inning role and the former Cubs starter has supposedly been on the trading block all spring. He had a 1.38 WHIP and a 63/28 K/BB ratio in 55 innings last season while tallying 20 saves in 26 chances. Perez, acquired last season from the Cardinals in a package for Mark DeRosa, had a 1.19 WHIP and a 68/27 K/BB ratio in 57 frames.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)