Mar 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Wood told MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince on Sunday afternoon that he is already back on his normal spring schedule and will throw a bullpen session Monday followed by an appearance in Wednesday’s spring game. Sounds promising.
SATURDAY, 6:31pm: Enjoy spring training traditions? Here’s one for you:
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians closer Kerry Wood was scratched from a scheduled one-inning appearance Saturday due to right arm soreness. The Indians are calling it “spring-training soreness,” but that won’t stop the punch lines. Wood has a well-chronicled history of arm issues and seems to miss time ever year (or every spring) because of some kind of ailment.
24-year-old righty Chris Perez is already breathing down Wood’s neck for Cleveland’s ninth-inning role and the former Cubs starter has supposedly been on the trading block all spring. He had a 1.38 WHIP and a 63/28 K/BB ratio in 55 innings last season while tallying 20 saves in 26 chances. Perez, acquired last season from the Cardinals in a package for Mark DeRosa, had a 1.19 WHIP and a 68/27 K/BB ratio in 57 frames.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)