Mar 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Wood told MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince on Sunday afternoon that he is already back on his normal spring schedule and will throw a bullpen session Monday followed by an appearance in Wednesday’s spring game. Sounds promising.
SATURDAY, 6:31pm: Enjoy spring training traditions? Here’s one for you:
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians closer Kerry Wood was scratched from a scheduled one-inning appearance Saturday due to right arm soreness. The Indians are calling it “spring-training soreness,” but that won’t stop the punch lines. Wood has a well-chronicled history of arm issues and seems to miss time ever year (or every spring) because of some kind of ailment.
24-year-old righty Chris Perez is already breathing down Wood’s neck for Cleveland’s ninth-inning role and the former Cubs starter has supposedly been on the trading block all spring. He had a 1.38 WHIP and a 63/28 K/BB ratio in 55 innings last season while tallying 20 saves in 26 chances. Perez, acquired last season from the Cardinals in a package for Mark DeRosa, had a 1.19 WHIP and a 68/27 K/BB ratio in 57 frames.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)