Mar 14, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
UPDATE: Wood told MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince on Sunday afternoon that he is already back on his normal spring schedule and will throw a bullpen session Monday followed by an appearance in Wednesday’s spring game. Sounds promising.
SATURDAY, 6:31pm: Enjoy spring training traditions? Here’s one for you:
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians closer Kerry Wood was scratched from a scheduled one-inning appearance Saturday due to right arm soreness. The Indians are calling it “spring-training soreness,” but that won’t stop the punch lines. Wood has a well-chronicled history of arm issues and seems to miss time ever year (or every spring) because of some kind of ailment.
24-year-old righty Chris Perez is already breathing down Wood’s neck for Cleveland’s ninth-inning role and the former Cubs starter has supposedly been on the trading block all spring. He had a 1.38 WHIP and a 63/28 K/BB ratio in 55 innings last season while tallying 20 saves in 26 chances. Perez, acquired last season from the Cardinals in a package for Mark DeRosa, had a 1.19 WHIP and a 68/27 K/BB ratio in 57 frames.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 13
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)