Mar 15, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Cliff Lee, who was making his second spring start since returning from minor foot surgery, was tossed from Monday’s game against Arizona in the third inning for intentionally throwing at catcher Chris Snyder.
Lee appeared to miss with his first attempt to send Snyder a message. On his second try, he threw one just over Snyder’s head, causing Snyder to walk towards the mound and both dugouts to empty. Nothing escalated from there, though.
Umpire Brian Knight viewed Lee’s pitches as revenge for an incident in the first, when Lee tripped over Snyder while trying to back up a play at home plate.
Considering that Lee had his a motive and went after Snyder twice, it’s quite possible the commissioner’s office will come down on him with a brief suspension to start the season. It’d certainly be deserved if Lee was throwing at Snyder’s head.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 5
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 127
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)