Mar 15, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Cliff Lee, who was making his second spring start since returning from minor foot surgery, was tossed from Monday’s game against Arizona in the third inning for intentionally throwing at catcher Chris Snyder.
Lee appeared to miss with his first attempt to send Snyder a message. On his second try, he threw one just over Snyder’s head, causing Snyder to walk towards the mound and both dugouts to empty. Nothing escalated from there, though.
Umpire Brian Knight viewed Lee’s pitches as revenge for an incident in the first, when Lee tripped over Snyder while trying to back up a play at home plate.
Considering that Lee had his a motive and went after Snyder twice, it’s quite possible the commissioner’s office will come down on him with a brief suspension to start the season. It’d certainly be deserved if Lee was throwing at Snyder’s head.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)