Mar 15, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Cliff Lee, who was making his second spring start since returning from minor foot surgery, was tossed from Monday’s game against Arizona in the third inning for intentionally throwing at catcher Chris Snyder.
Lee appeared to miss with his first attempt to send Snyder a message. On his second try, he threw one just over Snyder’s head, causing Snyder to walk towards the mound and both dugouts to empty. Nothing escalated from there, though.
Umpire Brian Knight viewed Lee’s pitches as revenge for an incident in the first, when Lee tripped over Snyder while trying to back up a play at home plate.
Considering that Lee had his a motive and went after Snyder twice, it’s quite possible the commissioner’s office will come down on him with a brief suspension to start the season. It’d certainly be deserved if Lee was throwing at Snyder’s head.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (133)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (132)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)