Mar 15, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
There’s nothing wrong pe se in John Harper’s Daily News column today. In fact, I’d probably rather see Fernando Martinez get the nod over Angel Pagan until Beltran comes back too. But he’s written enough dunderheaded stuff in his life that I got a chuckle out of this anyway. The column:
The ball was hit to shallow center field, too shallow for a runner to score from third. Or so it seemed. However, Angel Pagan promptly showed again that his instincts for baseball never seem quite right, and offered reason to ask whether he should play center field in Carlos Beltran’s absence.
Today’s Mets-Cardinals game: Angel Pagan hit two-run, come-from-behind walk-off homer with one out in the ninth.
It proves virtually nothing, and Harper’s criticism of Pagan’s defense stands, but I like it simply because it illustrates how the model of writing in which a guy is bashed one day, and is made a hero the next day that seems so popular in the east coast tabloids really doesn’t lend itself to baseball. The long view matters so much more in baseball than in any other sport, and we get so much less of the long view than we probably should.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)