Mar 15, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
There’s nothing wrong pe se in John Harper’s Daily News column today. In fact, I’d probably rather see Fernando Martinez get the nod over Angel Pagan until Beltran comes back too. But he’s written enough dunderheaded stuff in his life that I got a chuckle out of this anyway. The column:
The ball was hit to shallow center field, too shallow for a runner to score from third. Or so it seemed. However, Angel Pagan promptly showed again that his instincts for baseball never seem quite right, and offered reason to ask whether he should play center field in Carlos Beltran’s absence.
Today’s Mets-Cardinals game: Angel Pagan hit two-run, come-from-behind walk-off homer with one out in the ninth.
It proves virtually nothing, and Harper’s criticism of Pagan’s defense stands, but I like it simply because it illustrates how the model of writing in which a guy is bashed one day, and is made a hero the next day that seems so popular in the east coast tabloids really doesn’t lend itself to baseball. The long view matters so much more in baseball than in any other sport, and we get so much less of the long view than we probably should.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)