Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal writes that, despite the fact that things have been quiet on the Joe Mauer front, negotiations are still progressing and that the lack of any public talk about it doesn’t mean that there’s an impasse or anything close to it, as some have suggested.
There was some chatter in the press box at the Phillies-Twins game the other day about how the Twins are finding time to do things like extend Denard Span and Nick Blackburn contracts while Mauer remains in limbo. One thought — and this is my own thinking, not anything I heard — perhaps Mauer has suggested to the Twins that he’d like to see long term commitments to the supporting cast before he goes all-in, lest he find himself the only established player on the team one day a la Adrian Gonzalez or someone.
Other possibility: the Twins are simply trying to give themselves cost certainty with respect to Blackburn and Span on the theory that once they pull the trigger with Mauer, there’s not going to be much room for uncertainty in the arbitration process.
I realize that neither of these are the deepest thoughts in the world, but it seems like some Twins fans’ nerves get a little more frayed every day we get closer to Opening Day without Mauer being signed. My view? Nothing that has happened yet should give anyone cause for concern.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)