News flash: Mike Lupica takes cheapshots at A-Rod

Mar 15, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT

Mike Lupica’s latest column about A-Rod and the Dr. Galea investigation stands as proof that he’s never been involved in a federal investigation:

Come on, there are more things fishy about all this than the old Fulton Fish Market. If the whole thing is so easily explained, if Rodriguez is “at ease” with the whole situation as he told the media in Florida the other day, how come he hasn’t cleared some of this up already, no matter how lawyered up he is.

Sometimes people bring lawyers with them when they talk to the feds
because they want to make sure they don’t incriminate themselves. But
if that’s the case with A-Rod, you’re probably thinking:

Incriminate himself about what?

I’m not the most suspicious person in the world. I still trust my government. I pay my taxes. I don’t think I’m under surveillance. I haven’t joined any militias this week or anything. But I can tell you one thing: if federal agents asked me to come in and talk to them, especially about a drug case, I’d have a lawyer with me no matter how tenuous and benign my connection to the matter.

Maybe the agents on the Galea case are nice young men, but federal drug prosecutions have been known to go off the rails in search of secondary ant tertiary targets pretty quickly. Can’t get the main guy? Get one of his lieutenants. Can’t get a lieutenant? Go after a major user. Can’t make a case against a user? Well, at least we can sift through the records and build a tax case against someone based on what we learned in interviews. No tax case? Well, perhaps we can just throw together false statement case against one of the many witnesses.  Yeah, let’s make it against the high profile dude so it doesn’t look like we’re picking on average citizens.

Against that backdrop — a backdrop that Lupica, having not just fallen off the turnip truck is no doubt aware of — his comments about A-Rod “lawyering up” are nothing more than cynical sensationalism in the service of cheap and easy potshots against a favorite target.

Or as Lupica calls it: Monday.

1. brent anderson - Mar 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM

does anyone even like lupica? he’s just a petty little curmudgeon who gets outraged over everything and he ruins the sports reporters. damn i hate that guy…

2. Joey B - Mar 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM

“The problem is that it’s not that simple for Arod. Taking your same scenario, what if you find out that the local pharmacist is under investigation for illegally selling drugs to teenagers. The media then starts to ask you why you had to visit that specific doctor? Were you somehow involved in the drug scheme? How much was the doctor paying you to keep quiet?”
    Again, he can say anything he wants to the press, but he’ll pay the price of speculation. Using the same example, here’s your two choices-
    A) When someone asks you why you went to the corner pharmacy, you tell them because it was on the corner.
    or
    B) Tell them that your lawyer advised you to not comment about your involvement with the druggist.
    Which of these makes the most sense? If he is going to tell the feds that he went to Canada for an anti-inflammatory, then he might as well tell the public the same thing. It makes absolutely no sense to be truthful to the feds about an innocent transaction, and then to obfuscate with the public so that everyone will speculate.

3. Joey B - Mar 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM

“Remember when a “special investigator” (special being the operative word) brought in Presiident Clinton to ask him about his involvement in the Whitewater case, and ended up impeaching him for lying about a BJ from an intern? And remember, Bill is a brilliant speaker.”
    The difference is ‘lying’. If you are guilty of something, and you intend on lying to the Feds, then you need a lawyer, and you are best off saying nothing to anyone.

4. Lorna - Mar 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

5. talex - Mar 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Real journalists, if there are any left, do either one of two things:
    1. – Do an investigative report themselves and uncover the truth;
    2. – Wait to let things play out before throwing someone under the bus, especially someone they hate to begin with.
    Since Lupica is one of the most over-rated sports writers in the history of American sports … I just tune him out. He reminds me of Bob Costas–they cover sports, but they act as though they are God’s gift to all of us. They are actually grains of sand–and that’s an insult to sand!

6. Get a Grip - Mar 15, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Nice of you to run teh the defense of an admitted liar/cheater. I don’t think Lupica roasted this guy enough. Dude has a guy running HGH across the border for him…….lawyer or no lawyer he’s a bum and should be banned for life.

7. Joey B - Mar 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM

“I’m pretty sure Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter had nothing to do with Roger Clemens’ steroid use but I guarantee they’ll talk to counsel before their interview should they have one.”
    I doubt it. I’ve seen plenty of athletes deny using PEDs without a lawyer standing next to them. Even athletes that have used them, aka ARod, have denied using them. There is no culpability for lying to the press. ARod can tell Lupica anything he wants.

8. Skids - Mar 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hey Moses, maybe ARod needs to cram Lupica in his locker like Dave Kingman did a few years back. The guy is completely out of control and out of touch. He’s a know it all’s know it all, but knows nothing.

9. airedale - Mar 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Lupica has spent the better part of his life knocking those who who he declares unworthy of his ‘love’.
    What that translates to is a punk with a typewriter, fighting guys three times his size from the safety of the press box.

10. Oldschool - Mar 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Lupica is a low brow moron little rodent that nobody cares what his opinions are, simple as that!

11. Big Harold - Mar 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

As mentioned earlier, anybody that would talk to the FBI, (or any other law enforcement agency), without benefit of an attorney is insane! Remember Barry Bonds isn’t being prosecuted for any other reason than the Feds think they can prove he lied to them. Not that he did steroids but lied when questioned under oath.
    If you don’t agree go here and watch this on Youtude;
    Also, Lupica is a sawed off runt that has had it in for the Yankees for decades. Personally, I think Steinbrenner insulted him about 25 years ago and he had one of those Gone With the Wind Scarlet O’Hara moments where he swore to God … At any rate I remember him being far more even handed last week with his remarks when it was announced that Reyes and Beltran were going to be interviewed by the feds.

12. Joey B - Mar 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM

” At any rate I remember him being far more even handed last week with his remarks when it was announced that Reyes and Beltran were going to be interviewed by the feds.”
    There was far less to the Beltran/Reyes story.
    1-They were in touch with the NYM FO, ARod wasn’t.
    2-At least one of them was accompanied by NYM personnel, ARod wasn’t.
    3-Neither of them are admitted PED users, ARod is.
    4-Both of them told the press their story, while ARod lawyered up.
    While I agree that Lupica is not always even-handed, there is a huge difference in circumstances.

13. CharlieH - Mar 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I read most of the story, what’s wrong with it. Having already being caught in a lie about PED use shouldn’t A-Rod’s behavior be constantly under suspicion, as with all the other known PED users. Reporters dropped the ball in the PED use era by not investigating enough and reporting on their findings. Are the reporters going to repeat that same behavior. What other things are going on that the fans have the right to know. Just like an alcoholic or drug user, those that have used steroids might have an urge to take them again or find replacement therapys.

14. theo van che - Apr 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

lupica or lupie is a 4 foot tall cunt who is the only loser at the daily snooze who doesnt list his email address go figure. commie, panty sniffer who jerks off to photos of obama sweating, cycling or hooping it up. hates the hippocratic oath like ezekial emmanuel

15. Fernando - Apr 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM

“A person who represents himself, has a fool for a client”. Guilty or not, you have to bring a lawyer.

16. Steven - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM

The A-Rod’s, Jeter’s, and alike are corporations. It would be suicide not to protect your main asset with legal representations when talking to feds or any other law enforcement official. Heck, even if I just witnessed a mugging and chased the guy off, I would have my lawyer there while being interviewed by the cops.

Three legends off to Cooperstown